Chapter 30

I stared at the woman, as she smiled an unbelievable beautiful smile, and then shook my head. No way. That can’t be. I can’t smile like her.

      “What brings you here, Darius?”

      Darius walked right up to her, and then made me gasp when he put his arms around the woman’s waist. “To see you, of course, Tuptia.”

      “Who is she?” I asked. “How come she looks so much like me?”

      Keroshan’s father just kept looking at them. “She is an ancestor of yours.”

      “She is?” I asked.

      “Have you ever wondered why you were able to talk to Raakshyans and no one else could?”

      I nodded and swallowed hard.

      “Because you have Raakshyan blood in you.”

      “I have Raakshyan blood in me?” No, I couldn’t believe it.

      “It’s faint, but yes. Tuptia, the women, and her brother, Brytler, they’re both Raakshyans. Tuptia is your father’s great grandmother.”

      “My father’s… wait… does my father know that…”

      “Yes.”

      “He knew about Raakshyans all along? Even before Aunty Seretha?”

      “Yes.” He said. “Haven’t you ever found it strange that your father so easily understood and accepted Keroshan and his friends? And even Seretha?”

      “Yeah… but… wow… Wait, doesn’t that mean that Jacob has Raakshyan blood in him too?”

      Keroshan’s father nodded. “Brytler. That’s Jacobs mothers great grandmothers husband.”

      My eyes widened. “Wait, so Jacob and I are related?”

      “Distant, but yes.”

      My eyes widened. “No. Way.” I said. “Does Jacobs mother know? Like my father?”

      “No.”

      “Oh… wait… does Jacob know he has Raakshyan blood in him?”

      “He doesn’t know this story, so no.”

      “What does he know then?”

      “He thinks Darius is all powerful, and somehow changed him into a Raakshyan himself.”

      “But that’s not true…”

      “It mostly isn’t true…”

      “Why is it true to some extent?”

      Keroshan’s father looked at me. “Darius simply awakened the dormant Raakshyan within him and forced Jacob to accept it.”

      I hesitated. “Can he do that to me too?”

      “Yes. But it’s dangerous.”

      “Why? Jacob did it.”

      “Because Darius has forced Jacob to defy the natural process of change. Jacob was not supposed to go through this Change. He has neither the power nor the ability to survive as a Raakshyan, which is why he cannot, at the moment, change into a creature. The same will go for you.”

      My heart stopped. “So what’s going to happen to Jacob?”

      “Nothing for now.”