FOUR

Hum toh fanaa ho gaye unki aankhen dekh kar galib, Na jane woh aaina kaise dekhte honge

aankhen dekh kar galib,
Na jane woh aaina kaise
dekhte honge.

▫️▫️▫️▫️▫️▫️▫️▫️▫️▫️

Mehr Hussain was barely four years old when she saw Arsalaan Zaidi for the very first time. Her nine year old brother, Mahad, had invited some of his friends over on a Sunday, and Arsalaan was one of them.

Mehr and Mahad's room were adjacent and the boys had the speakers blasting with some rock music. Mehr, who was hanging out in her room with a coloring book, was pissed at the noise and went over to give her brother an earful. But when she banged his door open, the first thing that came in front of her eyes was a certain blue eyed boy, and Mehr lost her heart right that second. She fell in love with Arsalaan before she even knew the meaning of love.

After that, she started to look forward to Mahad's friends' visits and when they came, she used to hide in one corner and stare at him. She noticed every tiny detail about him, including the beautiful dimple on his left cheek. And then later at night, she'd draw him in her drawing book.

With every passing year, Mehr's feelings towards Arsalaan kept increasing. And to her luck, even though Mahad's friend's lessened over time, Arsalaan stayed his best friend. As the guys grew up, Arsalaan started to spend more time with Mahad at his place.

Mehr remembered the first time he had spoken to her. She was ten years old, while he was fifteen. He had come over to study for the board exams, and Mehr didn't know that. She had walked into Mahad's room without knocking and found Arsalaan there. Her nervousness shot up as they came face to face and she suddenly became conscious about what she was wearing and how her hair looked.

He looked at her and gave her a side smile that accentuated his dimple. Oh, that dimple.

"Hi, you're Mahad's sister, right? Mehr?" He casually asked.

Not trusting her words, she just bobbed her head up and down.

"I'm Arsalaan." He introduced himself, as if she didn't already know everything about him. "Mahad has gone to get something to eat." He informed her.

Instead of replying to him, she turned her heels and ran out of the room, leaving him confused. She just had to leave, her heart couldn't handle so much of his attention without warning. She reached her room and shut the door behind him. Then she replayed everything that he had said to her. She jumped up and down in joy. He knew her name, he freaking knew her name!