TWENTY-SEVEN

Tu hota toh baat kuch aur thi, Ab ki baarish toh sirf paani hai

Ab ki baarish toh sirf paani hai.

▫️▫️▫️▫️▫️▫️▫️▫️▫️

The next day was Sunday. After finishing her yoga, Mehr woke up Eshal and Arsalaan.

"Eshu, stop eating the toothpaste." Mehr said to Eshal while making her brush, but Eshal paid no heed. It was a nightmare to get her teeth cleaned. Arsalaan was making pancakes for breakfast.

Mehr sat Eshal down on her high chair and cut up the pieces of pancakes to make it easy for her to eat. She then drizzled with some chocolate sauce and also kept a couple of strawberries on her plate.

"Did you say bismillah?" Mehr asked Eshal before she could take her first bite.

Eshal looked at her mother and cutely muttered bismillah before eating. Arsalaan smiled at that. Mehr was bringing up their daughter well.

After breakfast, Eshal went off to her room to do coloring. Arsalaan received a call, and strolled inside to answer that. Mehr was going to start with the cleaning when the doorbell rang.

She opened the door to find an elderly couple standing outside.

"Yes?" She politely asked.

"We're looking for Arsalaan Zaidi." The man spoke.

Mehr nodded and called out for Arsalaan. He was still on call when he came, but his expressions changed when he saw the guests.

He immediately hung up the call and invited them inside. Mehr looked at all of them confused.

"Um," Arsalaan cleared his throat, "They are Aqsa's parents."

Realisation dawned upon Mehr. "Oh!"

There was a few seconds of awkward silence before the lady hesitantly spoke. "We're sorry for coming unannounced. But we were in the city and we knew that you'd gotten married. So we thought of meeting your wife and Eshal."

Before the wedding, Arsalaan had called to inform them about it. They lived in Bangalore with their son and daughter-in-law, so they couldn't attend but they had given him their wishes over the phone.

"Aunty," Mehr started, "You don't have to take permission to visit us. This is your home as well. You're always welcome here."

They all sat down before Mehr asked them if they'd like some tea or coffee, but they refused.

"We were hoping to meet Eshal." Uncle said. 

Arsalaan called Eshal, and she came running.

"Ji, Abbu?" She asked.

"Eshu, aapke nana-nani aaye hain. Salaam karo." He introduced them.

Eshal frowned. "But kal toh nana koi aur the." She said, referring to Tahir.