THIRTY SIX

Tere tasveer ka roz mere samne aana, aur mera muskurana, Koi ittefaq toh nahi

samne aana,
aur mera muskurana,
Koi ittefaq toh nahi.

▫️▫️▫️▫️▫️▫️▫️▫️▫️▫️

On a Monday morning in late March, Mehr's alarm woke her up earlier than usual. She got out of bed and went to the washroom to do the morning routine. Then she padded off to the kitchen to make breakfast and two lunchboxes, one for Arsalaan to take to the office and the other one for Eshal to take to school. Yes, it was her baby's first day of school.

Time was flowing so fast. She couldn't believe that it had almost been six months to her and Arsalaan's marriage.

"What are you making?" Arsalaan sneaked up behind her. He hugged her from the back and gave her a peck on the cheek.

"It is Eshal's first day so I thought of making her favorite paneer." She replied.

He pouted. "And what about my favorite?"

She smiled at his childishness. "You're not a kid going off to his first day of school."

"Yeah, but I need some attention too." He tightened his grip on her waist and nuzzled his nose in her neck. Her toes curled feeling his breath on her, but she tried to keep her composure normal. It had been a couple of months since they'd first kissed, but it still made her blush.

"Leave me," She tried to nudge him away, "and go wake up Eshu."

He whined like a child but went nonetheless. He made Eshal brush her teeth and then gave her a shower.

Mehr was done cooking by then, so she took out the uniform that she had ironed in the night before. Eshal was really excited about the new uniform, books, and going to school.

"Eshu, repeat after me." Mehr said while combing her hair.

"I am beautiful." Mehr said.

Eshal looked confused but repeated nonetheless. "I am beautiful."

"I am strong."

"I am strong."

"And I love myself."

Mehr finished braiding her hair and then kissed Eshal's forehead. "Never forget what I just made you repeat, okay?"

Eshal was going to step out of her home into the real world today. Till now, she was kept protected by her family, but now it was time for her to meet different people, make friends, and Mehr and Arsalaan were not going to be with her always. So, Mehr wanted to make sure that Eshal knew her worth. Mehr couldn't fight Eshal's battles for her, but she could prepare her for them. The world was filled with people who, at one point or the other, would try to bring Eshal down, tell her or make her feel that she was not enough. Obviously Eshal was still very young, but Mehr wanted to impart self-love into her from the very beginning. She wanted Eshal to grow up knowing how amazing she was, and that no one could tell her otherwise. Eshal couldn't understand all this right now, but in future, she'll surely be grateful to her mother for this.