TWENTY-ONE

Kuch tumhari nigah kaafir thi, Kuch mujhe bhi kharab hona tha

Kuch mujhe bhi kharab hona tha.

▫️▫️▫️▫️▫️▫️▫️▫️▫️

Tahir knocked on Mehr's bedroom door.

"Come in," Mehr screamed from inside.

He entered the room with a smile. "Ho gayi dulhan tayaar?"

Mehr was seated in front of the mirror, as a beautician was making her wear the nath. She saw her father's reflection in the mirror and smiled at him. After pinning the chain attached to the nath to her hair, the beautician was done. Mehr stood up and faced her father, and then looked behind him. "Ammi nahi aayi mujhse milne?"

Tahir's smile vanished. A disappointed look appeared on Mehr's face as well, but she masked it quickly. "Koi nahi! Kaisi lag rahi hoon main, Baba?" She twirled in front of him holding her blood red lehenga.

"Pariyon jaisi." Tahir kept his wrinkled hand on top of her head. "Meri bachi kab itni badi ho gayi pata hi nahi chala." His eyes filled with tears.

"Baba, acha chalein ab royein nahi." Mehr hugged him. "Main aapse milne aati rahungi."

Their moment was broken by a very excited Eshal running into the room without tripping over her blue colored lehenga.

"Maa, you look so pretty." She commented as soon as she saw Mehr.

Mehr chuckled and kneeled down in front of her daughter. "Not more than you, sweetheart." She kissed her chubby cheek.

"Qazi sahab is here." Mahad also came into the room and announced.

"I should go and welcome him." Tahir said and left.

Mehr also asked the beautician to adjust the dupatta on top of her head. Ayesha took Eshal with her saying that Arsalaan had arrived and was looking for his daughter. It was the longest he'd ever stayed away from Eshal.

"Ready?" Mahad asked.

Mehr took a deep breath. "I don't think so." She had suddenly gotten nervous. Just a few minutes more, and she'd be tied in the holiest bond with a man she'd always loved. All the prayers that she'd made from childhood were coming true.

"You'll be fine." Mahad assured her.

She nodded and wrapped both her hands around his right arm. "Let's go!"

______________

"Qubool Hai." Mehr said it for the third time, and she was officially a married woman.