Chapter 39: Natalia. That's It.

Wednesday

Faintly, Katya had registered the blankets moving, the bathroom tap running, and the opening and closing of the closet door, followed by the bedroom door. But she was too tired to wake up yet, to function. Gladly, her eyes closed again, only to open more than an hour later, the sun shining through the blinds and under the curtains.

Subconsciously, she knew Natasha wasn't next to her anymore, but her arm reached over on its own, indeed landing on the mattress without meeting something first. It made her groan, her mood shooting down, until there was a rustling. Faint, but definitely coming from that side of the bed.

Katya tapped the blankets, the pillow, until her fingertips hit a piece of paper. With her eyes closed, a wide smile broke out on her face at Natasha's thoughtfulness. No matter what the piece of paper said, she had thought of her before leaving, because Natasha only left notes whenever she went out. She knew Katya grew restless when she didn't know where she had gone.

Hoisting herself into a sitting position, using the headboard and her pillow as support, Katya rubbed the sleep out of eyes and focused on the lined piece of paper. 

''Morning, beautiful. Took Yelena and Maya to the store so you could have a peaceful morning to yourself. If you need me to get you anything, just text me :) I love you.''

Katya teared up, still a bit emotional from the mess she was yesterday, Natasha's elegant handwriting impossible to read as her vision blurred. 

Why did she always know exactly what she needed and when? It was as if she had a sixth sense for that sort of stuff. And personal notes like these warmed her heart, awakening those butterflies and making her day even though it barely started.

After a long and relaxing shower, Katya lightly skipped downstairs in some fresh washed clothes and blow-dried hair. Originally, she came into the kitchen to throw together some kind of breakfast for herself, only to find another note on the kitchen island. 

''Breakfast is in the fridge <3'' 

Seriously, did God herself make this woman?

The widest possible grin grew on Katya's lips, and when she pulled the fridge door open, her gaze immediately landed on what was clearly for her. Toast with smashed avocado and boiled egg, neatly wrapped in some clear foil. And next to it, in case Katya wasn't sure if that was also meant for her, was a glass with a purple liquid. It had another note stuck to it: ''This one too ;)'' 

Taking the lid off the glass and smelling the drink, Katya's suspicions were confirmed. Blueberry-banana smoothie, her favorite. How did she not get woken up by the machine this morning?

She felt so loved in that moment, her heart about to combust with love for her wife. Honestly, what did she do to deserve her? It was still surreal sometimes that Natasha loved her as much as the other way around. That woman was gorgeous inside and out. She could get every single person on this planet. But all she wanted, and had always wanted, was Katya.

Taking her toast and her smoothie, she plopped down on the couch, pulling a fluffy blanket over her lap. Usually, she'd have turned on the TV, but she enjoyed the silence, the ringing silence, in the house. Slowly, the toast disappeared, the smoothie not far behind. It was made with love, which made it taste even better.

Out of curiosity, she picked up the book Natasha left on the coffee table, but pretty soon, she was two chapters in, an hour gone by. Nobody came to disturb her. No Natasha who asked how the washing machine worked again, or Maya who ran around the house, always restless.