Chapter 72: Zoos Are Scary Places

March 29, 2024

''I'm so sad today is the last day,'' Maya spoke between sips of her milk. They were all exhausted from this week, but ready for a new day after some good sleep. Though secretly, Katya was relieved today was the last full day here. This trip had demanded a lot from her. And although her mind had stayed together, she could feel the pressure in her head. And she'd rather be home if a breakdown hit, than here.

The past two days in Moscow were more of the same. Visiting historical, cultural, but also fun sights, including a boat trip over the river. Everything ran smoothly. No more panic attacks or nightmares. Just all smiles and fun.

''But it's gonna be a hell of a fun day, right?'' Katya smiled, reaching for the teapot to pour some more in her mug. One thing she'd for sure miss was the five-star services, like breakfast getting served to them, dinner made for them. Although maybe she could convince Natasha to cook more often if she put on a pouty face. Shouldn't be too hard.

''I'm gonna have no feet left at the end of the day,'' Natasha complained, leaning back in her chair, sipping her coffee. Before she opened her eyes this morning, Katya had kissed her head saying she was going down to the gym, only to come back an hour later, all sweaty. She happily joined her in the shower.

Katya sent her a pointed, amused look. ''Okay, grandma. Maybe the zoo provides wheelchairs.'' Maya laughed.

Instead of being offended, Natasha joined in on the joke, smirking. ''Will you push me then?''

''Your hands don't ache, do they? Roll yourself.'' She shrugged, sipping her tea innocently. ''Maybe I'll push you into the monkey enclosure.'' Natasha's jaw dropped dramatically, causing Katya to smirk.

''The ones with the red butts?'' Maya chimed in with a chuckle, eating the leftover raspberries from her pancakes.

Katya shrugged again, ignoring the glare on her face. ''I mean, her hair fits in, so yeah.'' She averted her gaze to the tabletop, waiting for the reactions, and she wasn't disappointed.

This time, Natasha audibly gasped, throwing her napkin straight into Katya's face. ''That's the worst thing you've ever compared my hair to.''

''And mine!'' Maya exclaimed, slamming her mug with milk down. ''Mom!''

Katya's face paled when she realized she had fucked up and offended both her family members. It may or may not have slipped her mind that her daughter was a redhead too. Now, they both glared at her angrily after she compared their hair to a monkey's butt.

Shit.

Clearing her throat, she put her mug down to lean with her underarms on the table. ''I see I've made a mistake. My sincerest apologies.'' She didn't want both of them to be mad. That was the shitty thing about a family of three.

Natasha skeptically narrowed her eyes at her, then looked at Maya. ''Will we accept?'' They both weren't too convinced with this apology.

''Oh, no. Not a team-up,'' Katya breathed in slight panic. Every time that happened, she was severely screwed. And every time she pissed Natasha off this badly, she was badly badly screwed.

Without having to think too long, Maya shook her head. ''I am really hurt, so no.'' Katya groaned, dropping her forehead on her arms. Her dumb teasing would have consequences.