Emergency Part 10

"How did the date go?" Asuka asked Jackson who had his usual coffee in front of him.

"I'm not sure actually." he smiled at her. "Well, in the beginning everything seemed to be going well." he scowled. "We had dinner, everything was going great, good food, great wine and of course, my great company. Then some toad I've done business with comes over and the whole mood is gone. I was ready to bloody kill at that point!" he pursed his lips in an effort not to really lay in to that asshole. "Of course, by then Cook had turned back into business mode, and that was the end, He wouldn't go anywhere else with me." he sighed, "When will I catch a break?"

"You don't need a break, you need to get your shit in order Jack. I've never seen you roll over and play dead before, so why start now?" 

"I'm not playing dead!" he snapped. "Things are tricky with Cook. He doesn't want a relationship becuase it could ruin his career." he groaned.   

"Sensible man." she nodded her agreement. "You have to understand his position Jack. His reputation is all that he has between being employed and sitting on the street. For someone in his position, he needs to have the trust of the person he works with, otherwise he becomes a liaibility." she explained.

"I know, I know. But I won't let that happen to Cook. Why is it so hard for people to get that?" If there was any chance of Cook agreeing to dating him, he had to make sure that he felt safe to do so.

"Then you know what to do. Why are you still sitting here, wasting my precious time?" She grabbed his sleeve. "Just don't scare him Jack." was her parting words to him.

--

"You went on a date with your boss?!" Hector dropped down next to Raymond, holding out a vodka and lemon. They'd been drinking since Tilly and Hector had turned up after work. Now that Raymond could leave the office at a normal hour, he hoped his social life would improve and that they could hang out more.

"I just said so Hector, jesus!" he cried out.

"Well excuse me for breathing." Hector said sourly, downing his vodka in one go. "You haven't said anything on the subject Tilly. Feeling jealous?" he poked at her.

"Shut up and pour us another drink, Hector." she held out her glass for him to fill. "I'm just taking the whole thing in. How was it?" she turned to Raymond.

"It was okay. He isn't that bad, you know?" when he saw Tilly's raised eyebrow, he continued, "He took me to a french restaurant, we sat talking, mostly about him, of course. Then one of his business partners came by and it wasn't as much fun as before." he finished. Knowing that his fear of losing credibility was holding him back from considering more from Jackson.

"So you got cock blocked by the other guy?" Hector quized. "I hate when that happens."

"I didn't say that I wanted to hook up with him!" Raymond grumbled.

"But you also didn't say that you were against it." Tilly interjected.

"You guys are getting it all wrong - "

"The gentleman doth protest too much, methinks." Tilly cut him off, downing another vodka with a giggle. "Maybe you should invite him over and just chill, you know." she looked at him dead serious. 

"Yeah, test him. If he really wants to date you, then he has to see this part of your life too. Who knows, it might just scare him off!" Hector was swaying slightly. His drunken, hazy eyes clearing up for a moment.

"You're being dumb again, both of you. What makes you think he'd hang out with us?" he laughed, getting up to get some more snacks. Reaching into the cupboard for chips when he heard Tilly giggle, as if she was trying to restrain herself.