The Inquisitor - Part 42

"Are you sure?" Damon asked in disbelief. "Of course your sure, why am I even asking?" he laughed in frustration.

"Yes, she's been very busy it seems. But skimming is the least of our problems." Raymond looked at his uncle with worry. "She's been buying up small shares and putting feelers out to other shareholders, only the smaller ones though, but it's still suspicious. And let's not forget her spies that she's managed to plant throughout the company."

"When did this start?" Damon leaned back in his chair, carefully taking in what Raymond was saying. He had to admit that the scheme that his ex-wife had cooked up was quite impressive. Stealing from him to steal his own company. 

When they'd gotten married, it was a dream, but he soon realized that she had higher asperations. She didn't marry him, she married because she wanted to be the next to take over. She changed completely, conniving, obsessed with building stronger alliances, more power and more control. She'd become unrecognizable to him, and when they got divorced she became almost deranged.

"She's also tagged Eric, for a while now." He leaned forward in his chair, resting his arms on his knees. "She's cooking something up, but I won't be able to find out what on my own... or in a short period of time" he trailed off.

"You've done well." Damon commended him with a warm smile. "I think it's going to get complicated from here on out." he sighed. "You know what I'm going to ask. I don't do so lightly and I wouldn't at all if I could help it, but..." He was asking a lot of Raymond, he was asking him to sacrifice a part of his life.

"I'm sure there's another way Uncle. Surely you have people you can trust?" he was slightly concerned, he'd never seen Damon so worried. "And there are ways to make sure Eric's safe."

"If I didn't know Eric was tagged, who do you propose I trust? Ray, this is a nest of scorpions we've stepped into and I don't know who to trust. How far has she reached into the company and the people around me." He was worried now that he knew his family could be in danger.

"I can give you a list of all my most trusted contacts. There's no need for me to physically be there and..." He'd just started a new job where he was happy. Now he was asked to sacrifice that and possibly more. He's never said no to Damon, except for his money. Can he say no now?

"Please Ray. Even with all your contacts, I wouldn't know where to start. This is now more than just me, if Eric is involved. It seems like she's targeting the family. You know how unstable she can be. You've got to help me Ray." He really needed Raymond on his side. 

There was a reason he was known as the Inquisitor. He was sharp and if he wanted to know something or want it found, then there was no stopping him. Quiet, calculating and being hyper-observant made him see things that others easily overlook.  Nobody ever suspected him of anything, because of his small stature and innocent face. But Damon knew that to underestimate Raymond, was like staring into the face of a king cobra, who could silently strike without leaving much of a trail. Even Damon didn't know who his network of contacts were, but they got results.       

"Okay," he sighed, sitting up straight. "I suppose you'll sort out work, both sides." he emphasized, causing Damon to laugh.

"Yes, yes, I know what to do. Don't forget who taught you everything when you worked at the pizzeria." he laughed. "I still have some life in me, you know." Damon felt more relieved that Raymond had agreed. At least his investigations would lead to somewhere.

"I'm not giving up my life with Jackson though." His eyes pinned Damon down, indicating that he would brook no argument. He would give up everything for this man, but he refused to bargain with Jackson. He was there to stay.