The Help Part 33

"End it, or I will!"

When the door opened Raymond's mother was caught off guard for a moment.

"Oh, Raymond, I didn't know you were standing there." she gave him a smile that didn't quite reach her eyes.

Raymond did what he always did, as The Help. He inclined his head slightly towards her and plastered his best professional smile on his face, pretending he had heard nothing.

"I just came to see if you wanted coffee." he made up an excuse, his heart beating fast, while he tried to keep his composure. He would not show her how deep her words had cut through him.

"No, no dear," she shook her head. "We have to get going now, and I'm sure you have a lot to talk about." She turned to Jackson with a knowing look in her eyes.

"Mother, if you don't get out of our house now, I'll physically remove you!" Jackson snapped at his mother, taking a step forward as if to make his intentions clear.

While Jackson escorted them out of the house, Raymond went to his office. Taking out his keys, he laid them on his desk. Car keys, house keys, bank card and everything else Jackson had given that he had with him. He looked at the pictures on the desk. They didn't manage to take a photo together yet, he thought sadly. Maybe it was better this way.

"Cook?" Jackson knocked on the door, uncertainly poking his head in. "Cook, are you okay?"

Raymond moved away from the desk, with his brightest smile. "I'm fine Jackson, don't worry. I'm Superman, remember?" his breath hitched in his throat saying the last bit, but he knew he had to push through. Going over to Jackson, Raymond reached up to kiss him and give a brief hug before moving past him.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Jackson asked. He didn't know whether he should give Raymond a hug or even what to say. His Raymond seemed to have left and in his place was Cook, the consummate professional who never dropped his poker face. "Cook, please talk to me." Jackson followed him to the living room, while Raymond walked in silence, the robotic smile still on his face. Jackson was more worried about this cold silence.

"I'll take a quick walk and I'll be okay." he tried to smile again, but it felt wrong, so he just gave up.

"My love, can..." Jackson moved toward him, but Raymond took a step back. "Cook, please." he begged, not knowing what was going on in Raymond's head. He was more afraid now than he's ever been since meeting Raymond.

"I'm okay Jackson, really. I'm just going for a walk to clear my head." he turned around and opened the door. Once he walked past the gate, he let out a huge sigh. The Help, that's all he's ever been to this family. He had fooled himself into believing that they were different, that they maybe even liked him. He laughed derisively at his own thoughts. The Help. He should be used to this. All through school being the poor kid made him the butt of every joke, but he could handle it then. He was doing everything he could to help out the family, which he was very proud of. Now again he felt the shame of being a social outcast.

Why does it hurt so much more now? Why did their words cut so deep? His thoughts turned to Jackson. Was it really a game, a ploy to get him to stay? He felt robbed, sad and angry all at once. He was really starting to care for Jackson, could even dream of them having a happy life together. He kept walking, not knowing where to, but the rhythm of his feet on the gravel brought him a bit of comfort.

His phone started buzzing. He didn't need to look to see that it would be from Jackson, so he just kept walking until it became cold and dark. Hailing a cab, he decided that there was only one place for him to go and lick his wounds.

--

Jackson had been pacing the whole time after Raymond had left. He felt at a loss, he was also very pissed off at his mother for saying all those things and for making light of his relationship with Raymond. But this was just another hurdle that they had to cross. Together they can do anything and get through anything. Raymond was his Superman after all. When it started getting dark and Raymond had yet to return, he started calling, but it only went to voicemail. He got the driver to drive around to try and find him, but where would you start looking. He walked into Raymond's office, searching his desk for any clue as to where he might be.

Jackson smiled, remembering how Raymond would kick him out until he was done with his work. Then he noticed the keys neatly laid out on the desk, all labelled, along with every other trinket that Jackson had bought him. Seeing them on the desk made Jackson's heart contract. Picking up a note that was under the keys, his hands were shaking slightly, not knowing what to expect.

I'm sorry this didn't work out. Raymond.

Jackson looked at the note in horror, dropping down in the chair, his legs no longer seeming to be able to hold him up. He dialed Raymond's number again. Receiving no response, he called the driver. He pounded on Raymond's flat door as soon as he raced up the stairs.

"Cook!" he banged the door again, pressing the doorbell incessantly. When the door open, he almost sighed in relief, until he saw Hector standing in front of him. "Where's Cook?" he barged through the door into the small flat. When he didn't find Raymond in the bedroom, he grabbed Hector.

"Where is Cook," he demanded shaking him.

"Eh, he isn't here, is he?" Hector pointed out, noticing the frantic state he was in. His eyes shooting around the room as if Raymond was hiding somewhere.

"Do you know where he is?" " he shook Hector again, who pulled out of his grip, stepping back.

"Why? What did you do to him?" Hector didn't know what was going on, but he knew that he had to protect his friend from whatever is happening at the moment. Raymond had sent a text that he didn't want Jackson to know where he was and friends don't rat on each other. "If he doesn't want you to find him mate, then he has his reasons."

"I didn't do anything to him!" Jackson snapped, running his hand through his hair, still in a panic. "Do you know where he is or not?"

"No idea mate, but I think you should leave now." Hector opened the door, waiting expectantly for Jackson to leave, his face stony.

Standing outside the flat again, he looked at his phone. Nothing. He decided to call Tilly, maybe she'll be able to tell him something. He held the phone to his ear, listening to it ring and the call being cut. After a while, it went straight to voicemail. In his anger and frustration, he flung his phone to the ground, watching parts scattering. 

He felt sick to his stomach with worry about where Raymond could be. What state was he in? Where could he be? Is he safe? His mind going to the darkest places that he's always tried to hide.