The Drop Part 45

They were driving through town, when Raymond stopped at a fish 'n chip shop.

"Come on, let's get something for lunch!" He grinned at Jackson, getting out of the car, walking toward the shop, which was empty, except for a couple sitting near the window.

"Two specials and a shot of vodka." Raymond asked, grinning at the expression on the cashier's face,  handing the young man behind the cash register a few bills. As they walked to a free table, the couple got up to leave, navigating the narrow space between the tables. As they were skirting each other, she bumped into Raymond, knocking both their phones to the ground. 

"Oh, sorry," she said looking flustered as Raymond bent down to retrieve their phones.

"Here," he held out a phone to her after a quick switch, while sliding the other into his jeans' pocket. "I hope it's not damaged?" he asked gesturing to her phone.

"No, no. It's fine thanks." And with that they moved off.

"Two specials and a shot of vodka!" The cashier called a while later. 

"Thanks, Raymond laughed, collecting their food.

"You're really weird sometimes, you know?" Jackson looked down at Raymond who seemed to have turned into a grungy teenager again, with his messy hair, low hanging, baggy jeans and oversized hoodie zipped open to reveal a Star Trek t-shirt. "And why are you dressed like that?"

"It's weekend, can't I be comfortable?" he squinted up at Jackson, as they were walking.

"That's all good and well, but people are staring at me like I'm some sort of pervert, holding the hand of a teenager." he grimaced. "I never thought I'd feel old, but looking at you, I feel like I'm going through my midlife crisis, dating a twink." 

"You're not getting old, I just happen to have great genes!" grinning he pulled Jackson to a bench overlooking the lake, handing him his food. "Do you remember when we met on the bench?" Raymond asked looking out over the lake.

"Hmm, how can I forget? You were so happy and laughed at my stupid jokes, and you fed me those horrible Twinkies." he laughed at the thought. "I envied you, that you had your whole life ahead of you with no concerns or trouble weighing you down." Placing his arm around Raymond's shoulder, he continued, "If only I knew what you were going through as well."

"I'm surprised that you still eat a Twinkie every day." Raymond poked at his chips, smiling.

"Of course! You told me they make everything better." He looked at Raymond, "But I think it was more you than the Twinkie that made everything better.

"You're really sweet for a pretty boy, you know that?" he smiled. "Come on, it's time for your surprise!"

He followed Raymond down a side street, to a tiny shop selling frames and art. Once Raymond had taken the package, he turned to Jackson.

"This is for you." he held it out to Jackson once they were outside, who immediately opened it to reveal framed photographs of them together at the amusement park. "Now we have photos of ourselves together."

"Oh, my love, besides you, this is the best gift I've ever received!" He leaned down to give Raymond a slow kiss, breaking away from him when he heard an older woman tutting to her friend.

"He looks old enough to be the boy's father." she shook her head as she gave Jackson an outraged look.

"He's only a few years younger than me!" he called out after the women, who just kept walking, shaking their heads. "I think it's better that we stay at home, until this phase of yours has passed. I can't handle people thinking I'm old enough to be your dad!" he moaned, but still leaning down to kiss Raymond again.