Chapter 12a: The Innocence of Youth.

[And now, of course, we go to the news for today.] the newsreader read aloud on the news channel that the Naegi's had tuned into [last night, a mass serial killer and rapist who has been at large and a significant threat to our modern society for the previous eight years has finally been caught, and will face justice for his crimes in court coming two days.]

"Woah! Kyoko!" Makoto called out suddenly, as he was in the living room of their house watching the story unfold "come look at this! Isn't this the one?"

Hearing her husband call, Kyoko put down her notepad and walked into the living room, sitting down on the sofa next to him and watching the TV. At this time, Jin, their younger son, and Kuroba's younger brother returned home from elementary school.

Whenever Jin came home in the evenings, by that point in time, Makoto would usually be in the kitchen, preparing dinner, and the happiness he got from the smell wafting through the house always delighted him when he returned home. However, the scent wasn't here today because Makoto was waiting in the living room, watching the news unfold on the TV, and Kyoko was obviously with him, so no one was around to greet him when he came through the door. As for Kuroba...well, we'll get to that.

"Mom? Dad?" Jin called out, "where are you guys?"

"In the living room, sweetie," Kyoko called, "come and watch."

Jin did as he was told and stepped into the living room, sitting down next to Kyoko and Makoto as they watched the screen. The news story continued.

[The police commissioner issued a public statement in gratitude of fledgling detective Kuroba Naegi. Naegi is currently a part-time detective who works at her local detective firm, and outside of that is an Ultimate Student at Hope's Peak Academy. 
"This young woman is proof to society that the younger generation is essential to protect the future of our country. We've spent almost eight years trying to crack this case, and as soon as she arrived on the scene, she had it solved in a matter of days. She pulled off in no time what professionals have been trying to do, and I will be the first to admit that a lot of us, myself included, could learn a lot from her efforts."
The young detective girl responsible for solving the case has refused to come forth and issue a statement on matters, but hopefully, the story we have will evolve with time.]

"Is this the case that Kuroba went away a few days ago for?" Jin asked, his eyes wide with astonishment.

"Yes, it is." Kyoko smiled "that's my girl."

In case it wasn't apparent by this point, Kuroba was abroad alone, aiding a police firm in another city with a long-term case that they had been trying to solve for years. To get the facts, she'd had to leave home for a few days, and now her efforts were being broadcast live through the news stations across the country. Naturally, her family could not be more proud.

However, as happy as he was for his sister's achievements, Jin couldn't help but feel a little sour. As soon as Kuroba had left, it was pretty much all he'd heard his parents talk about. He had believed secretly that now Kuroba had left for a few days, he would have the house and his parent's attention to him himself.

Regrettably, that was not the case, as Kuroba's expedition had basically been all Kyoko and Makoto had talked about in the days she'd been gone. 

"Now that I think about it," Makoto pondered, "around this time, Kuroba should be back at her room in the hotel she's staying at. She's got her laptop with her, so do you think we should video call her?"

"That sounds like a nice suggestion" Kyoko smiled.

As mentioned already, Jin was happy to be the only child in the house, but he honestly did miss his older sister. His face immediately lit up with the hope of being able to talk to her, even though she was far away. He excitedly waited behind his parents as Makoto powered up the computer, trying to poke his head between them so he could see the screen. Within a few short moments, Makoto had the screen up and requested a video call from it. Kuroba then appeared on the screen, looking significantly tired.