Chapter 8: You can't run...

"Hey...Wakaba...I think...I've got one..."

"...What? You've got...what...?"

"Don't you get it...?"

"N-No...No I don't..."

"Really...? Can't you think of anything...?"

"Um...no...?"

"Fine then...If you don't understand...then I'll tell you straight up..."

Hosu leaned closer and whispered into Wakaba's ear.

"Summoning a demon...!"

Wakaba let the words sink in...pointed her nose to the sky...exhaled a deep breath...

and booked it!

Or...she WOULD have, had Hosu not grabbed her arm and stopped her.

"Why are you running away?" Hosu asked, almost as if nothing was wrong.

"No, no NOPE!" Wakaba growled at them "give me ONE GOOD REASON why I SHOULDN'T run away!"

To provide a bit of context, Wakabayashi Momota had returned to the Hope's Peak School Building late at night, after she'd accidently forgotten a textbook that she'd left in her desk drawer. She'd returned to the classroom, but had been in for quite an unpleasant surprise when she'd returned to find Mahosuru Chabashira already there, sitting down at a desk. When finding them, Wakaba had found Hosu absolutely motionless, almost as if they were under a spell or possibly even possessed. Upon attempting to be a good classmate, she'd now walked into something that she so desperately wanted out of.

"What are you talking about!? S-Summoning a demon!?" Wakaba stammered "how did you do that!? How COULD you do that!?"

"Mm...let's see..." Hosu considered "you take things like freshly severed snake skins and frog eyeballs and-"

"OK OK THAT'S ENOUGH!" Wakaba instantly regretted asking "d-don't make me imagine that!"

As you might remember from previous chapters, Wakaba had been known to be an almost fearless girl, not afraid of jumping into any sort of risk or danger to make ends meet. However, if there was one person that could send a chill down her spine and bring her endless discomfort, it was Hosu. Mainly for one reason...

Wakaba was TERRIFIED of the occult.

It was a fear that she and her father Kaito shared, something that really bothered her mother Maki. But not only did Wakaba fully believe in ghosts and spirits, but she was completely scared to death of them. Ergo, Hosu rambling on about how he had figured out how to summon a demon was NOT doing her mental health any good.

"That's not even the point here," Hosu continued "as a matter of fact, I'll have you know Demon summoning has granted me some...special magic..."

"M-Magic and demon's are bullcrap! But...go on, what's this special ability you have now?" Wakaba was afraid to piss Hosu off, in the case that she may be cursed. Even though she said that the occult was bullcrap, Hosu made it totally believable.

"It's the power...to get one person to listen and do one thing that I say to them..." Hosu grinned demonically "you know what this means...don't you Wakaba?"

As soon as Hosu had mentioned that they'd gained this new special ability, it immediately clicked to Wakaba what their intentions were. Regardless of what the ability was, she instantly knew they planned to try it out on her...! And while you might be thinking this is all just a prank played by a dumb kid, Hosu might've seemed like an innocent sweet child, but in reality, they had a very sadistic and cruel side.