Chapter 3a: Eternal Rivals.

[As for the weather, late last night, this part of the country had the unfortunate curse of being hit by a wave of acid rain. A lot of public gardens have unfortunately suffered and been polluted as a result of the downfall, but public authorities and volunteers are already putting themselves through the effort of restoring these places to their original livelihood.]

"Acid rain, huh?" Makoto looked over at the TV that morning with a downtrodden expression "that's not good...I hope we didn't leave anything corrosive out in the garden..."

"Kuroba?" Jin asked as he and his older sister ate breakfast that morning "what's acid rain?"

"Hm...Well, it's as it sounds. It's rain that's acidic," Kuroba explained to him "it's caused when harmful chemicals and compounds get released into the air, which mixes with rainwater in the clouds. It can cause harm to plants, animals and humans, and it can melt through certain kinds of metal and stone too."

"Wow...that's cool!" Jin's eyes sparkled.

"No, it's not," Kuroba shook her head "it's a bad thing."

"Yeah, a lot of things can get destroyed because of it Jin," Makoto said "and yeah, it won't kill you, but standing in it can be bad for your health. You'd best learn to avoid it."

"By the way dad," Kuroba said "has mom already headed out?"

"Yeah, she was called in by a station that's quite far away, so she had to leave early," Makoto told her "she probably won't be back until the evening."

"Aw..." Kuroba sighed "oh well, guess I can wait to ask her about-"

She couldn't finish that thought, as all of a sudden, there was a very sporadic knocking on the door.

"Who's that?" Jin asked "were we expecting anybody?"

"No...That's strange..." Makoto got up to his feet "stay back you two, I'll answer it."

Even though he told them to wait back, Kuroba and Jin were naturally curious individuals. They followed their father and peered around the corner as their father answered the door. Standing in the doorway was a young man, out of breath and looking quite panicky.

"M-Morning Makoto!" he nervously greeted him "sorry to bother you so early in the morning."

"Shuichi!" Makoto gasped "what're you doing here?"

[Former Ultimate Detective - Shuichi Saihara]

Hasami Saihara's father, and like Kuroba and her mother Kyoko, he also once held the title of Ultimate Detective. Shuichi has a keen intellect and is a sharp thinker. While he is timid when talking to others, he is seen to be calmer and firmer when analyzing and doing reasoning. Although he claims he only managed to solve his cases by chance.

Like his daughter, he's incredibly intelligent and serious, but he lacks her confidence. He often has negative remarks and suffers from a cold sweat. With his unsure demeanor, he has a tendency to assume that other people can do things better than him, and he comes across as quite unreliable at first glance, but this is a book that should not be judged by the cover.

"Mr Saihara!" Kuroba came out from around the corner and greeted him "what's going on? You look positively beside yourself..."

"M-Morning Kuroba!" he said "I-I'm quite sorry...is your mother home?"

"Kyoko?" Makoto asked "no...unfortunately, Kyoko will be out of town for today. Whatever you need her for you'll have to wait."