Chapter 4: Personal Connections

__

A/N: Hi! So just a quick check-in! I hope you're all enjoying this story so far! I know it is going incredibly slow right now, and I know we haven't seen much interaction between the two. Stick with me! I have LOTS coming for you all! This chapter will be from Severus' point of view, and I think there will be some future chapters from his POV. I will indicate at the beginning of the chapters if it's Severus' POV. If there's not a specification note, that means it's from [Y/N]'s POV!

*Severus' POV*

"Just like alcohol I suppose."

__

Three times. Three times I had seen her.

I had spent three of my usually solitary evenings in her presence, which had allowed her the advantage of being in her area of comfort. Three times I had risked my own skin and my own name just so the moonlight of my eyes could meet the sunshine of hers. Two of those three times had been with the sole intention of seeing her again. The last two times I had gone out of my way to see her. I had traveled to her bar in London with the purpose of laying eyes on her again. I was beginning to think of her even when I wasn't in her presence.

The problem was that I was finding myself interested in her.

My mind was suddenly preoccupied with her whenever I wasn't around. On more than one occasion I had caught myself attempting to come up with a night to see her again. I already came to the conclusion that I didn't see her as much as I would've liked. However, it was far too risky for me. My life belonged and remained in the world of wizardry.

Her world and my world just did not collide...and they likely never would.

I knew this. I knew that there was no possible way that our lives could intersect comfortably. She didn't know who I really was. She couldn't know who I really was. I already felt positively terrible about partially lying to her. I had been truthful about my occupation. I was an educator after all, but chemistry was a bit of a stretched truth. I suppose chemistry is the Muggle version of Potions, but I am not a Muggle and chemistry doesn't involve magic.

Despite knowing all of these things, I continued to want to seek her out. I fought that desire. I fought it with every ounce of energy that my body could offer. I wasn't going to get wrapped up in all of this. I couldn't allow this to happen. I'd be risking my name as well as her safety. The Muggle world and the wizarding world were kept "separate" for a reason. Granted, I know that Muggles and wizards DO intermingle. Coming from a half-blood, half-bloods exist for a reason. It was inevitable for Muggles and wizards to...co-exist. However, there was also a reason that Muggles and wizards weren't completely in a community together.

But I wanted to get to know her. I wanted to know so much more about her. Just as she wanted to know about me, I wanted to know about her. We were in the same situation, but for different reasons. Based on what [Y/N] and her friend Blaire had told me, [Y/N] didn't have much to her life that didn't have to do with the bar. I refused to believe that. Someone as kind, charming, and (quite frankly) beautiful as she was HAD to have more going in her life than a second-nature career. It seemed that she was putting so much time into getting to know me that I hadn't been granted the chance to get to know her. That would have to come through patience I had learned.

That was true for both sides of our budding "friendship".

I had decided early on (and by early, I'll admit it was the night that I met her) that her and I would be nothing more than occasional acquaintances. We were destined to be professional strangers, if you will. I was a halfway frequent customer, and she was my formal (and lovely) server. Nothing more, and nothing less.