Chapter 6: Discretion is Virtue

__

A/N: The page break is a POV change!

Getting to know you question: If you could bring back any HP character, who would you choose and why?

"Especially when you give us such a great discount."

__

"Severus!" I greeted, turning on the charm as high as I could, "Lovely to see you."

"Likewise," Severus spoke, acknowledging Blaire as well, "To you as well, Blaire."

Blaire held it together, maintaining her composure as if she hadn't just been crying over her unborn child and possibly unfaithful husband.

"Severus. Nice to see you again." Blaire smiled.

I turned my attention to look at Isobel to see if she was seeing all of this. Unfortunately, I was only to be met with an empty seat. As I mentioned before, Isobel had a habit of slipping in and out unnoticed, but she never left without paying and leaving a healthy tip. I pocketed the money, making a silent note to myself that I was on my own.

"How have you been?" I asked Severus, already beginning to prepare his drink.

"I've been well. How about you?" He returned, keeping the spotlight off of himself per usual.

My eyes quickly flickered to Blaire, who was pretending to be asleep at how boring this conversation already was. Even if Blaire's pride and self-esteem had been damaged, it seemed as if her sense of humor was as rock solid as ever. I stifled my laugh and continued on.

"Living the dream," I joked, setting the glass in front of him, "Wondering where you've been."

Severus twirled the glass in his hand, and Blaire gave me a sneaky look. I wasn't wasting any time getting down to it. The curiosity was beginning to eat away at my nerves, and I just wanted to know for my own personal satisfaction.

"We're close to Christmas. I'm always much busier towards the end of the term. I'm afraid that I fall victim to long nights in my office this time of the year," Severus explained, "Forgive my inconsistent absences."

Blaire's wheels were turning just as mine were. Every little detail that we could get to put together later was a good thing. 

"Oh, I understand. No need to apologize for working hard." I chirped, taking it upon myself to make Blaire something that didn't require any alcohol.

"What do you do for work, Severus?" Blaire questioned, even though she already knew the answer.

"I'm a teacher. Chemistry." He answered, his demeanor as cool as ever.

"Chemistry was never my forte. I was more of a biology person," Blaire made small talk, sipping her soda with an appreciative hum, "Do you enjoy teaching?"

"It has its perks," Severus shrugged, "Every job has its cons." 

Blaire nodded. She definitely understood that concept. 

"Have you ever done anything besides teaching?" Blaire questioned, hoping to get some insight into his past. 

"No. I began teaching straight out of school." Severus replied, taking slow sips and deep swallows of the Brandy in his glass. 

Blaire sipped her own drink, knowing that she'd have to get used to no alcohol for a while. Blaire was beginning to see just how difficult it could be to hold a conversation with him. She was seeing why I had hit so many various dead ends with him. 

"That's interesting. You've got plenty of experience under your belt then," Blaire went on. I was highly entertained by this, because Blaire was growing impatient, "Would you ever consider doing anything else."