Chapter 30: Planning Ahead

__

GTKYQ: What's the first thing that you notice when you meet someone? (Thank you @AndreaxyFD for the question idea :D )

A/N: Very much a filler chapter. Next one is coming very soon!

"I could just really stick with the undercover story." 

__

"Pepper." I called to my pet that was currently invading Blaire's personal space. "I don't think she wants you nosing her belly."

Blaire couldn't help but laugh, scratching at Pepper's ears as she continued to poke her snout at Blaire's midsection.

Blaire's baby bump was visible now, and even though she still had a ways to go, Pepper was acting as if Blaire was going to pop at any moment. Pepper was probably the most anxious dog I had ever seen in my entire life.

"Do you think she knows that there's a baby in there?" Blaire asked, resting her free hand on her bump

"Probably. Dogs are usually pretty observant like that." I answered, returning to the living room with two cups of hot tea.

Blaire had been living with me for the last several days. As predicted, her husband didn't take the baby news or divorce announcement well. I returned home from Hogwarts to the sight of a teary eyed Blaire sitting in my living room with multiple suitcases of her personal belongings. I was hardly surprised that Tom kicked Blaire out, but it still broke my heart to see her thrown out of her own house.

I had spent the last several days getting her situated and comfortable in my flat, and it had taken Pepper some time to get adjusted to having someone else at home. Blaire's work schedule was different from mine, and it spooked Pepper at first to have someone home at certain times when she wasn't used to it.

Blaire was discouraged and no doubt stressed, considering she was getting divorced, having a baby, and having to deal with getting cheated on all at once.

Being out of their house had helped her some, but I was worried about how she would handle everything when it started unfolding all at once.

For now, Blaire was living with me until she could figure something out and get the divorce process started. It was nice to have a friend around, and Pepper was ecstatic to be getting extra attention.

I sat on the sofa next to Blaire and Pepper, settling in on the cushion before Blaire returned to our previous conversation.

"So, how did you know that he lied about the potion thing?" Blaire took a slow sip of her decaffeinated tea. 

"Every single kid in that classroom had their textbook open. The smell of that potion was just too specific and had absolutely nothing to do with my 'personality.' I knew there was more to it," I said, taking a sip of my own tea. "I took a peek at one of the textbooks from a kid sitting in the front." 

Blaire drummed her nails against the side of the tea cup in thought. Her blue eyes had a certain shine to them that was a recent thing. It must've been the pregnancy glow.

"I don't get it. Why would he lie about it?" Blaire tilted her head. 

"I don't know," I scratched at Pepper's back. "I guess he didn't want it to be awkward in case I smelled someone else. Or maybe he was worried about how I would react if I knew it was him."

I knew that Severus was insecure. He was so unsure of himself and didn't give himself the credit he deserved. It made me feel so awful to think that he was scared to tell me the truth because he was afraid I would be disappointed.