10 - Splat!

Draco gave me the stink eye as he emerged from the bathroom half an hour later.

I defiantly stared back at him as I finished the rest of my milk, wiping the residue off my upper lip with the back of my hand.

"Why is Draco Malfoy looking at you like that?" Luna asked, causing Nico to snicker quietly as he peeled his egg.

"He wants to team up but I turned him down," I muttered, picking at my own egg.

"Really?" Luna said, looking astonished. "But it might not be a bad idea to have someone like him on side. He appears to have a lot of influence-"

"If I'm going to side with anyone, then it's with you." I said fiercely, turning away from Draco to give her my full attention. "Although, seriously - what on earth possessed you to go for the most complicated wire maze? You knew exactly what it was we were going in for."

Luna gave a serene smile. "The others looked so boring. Where was the challenge in that?"

"Luna," I said, pressing my fingers against my temple in exasperation, "is trying not to die not challenging enough for you? You need to do everything you can to protect yourself in here."

"That's what you were doing last night, was it?" Nico smirked, giving me a knowing look. "Protecting yourself?"

"I was simply enjoying the generous spread which was offered." I answered lightly. "Who am I to look a gift horse in the mouth?"

Luna looked between the two of us, confused. "Well, I suppose it's not everyday you get tiny sausages on sticks."

Yeah. Except I had the jumbo variety.

All too soon it was time to go to the game hall. Everyone trudged silently through the corridors, sick to the stomach from wondering if any of us would actually make it out alive.

"Welcome to your third game," spoke the cheery woman's voice over the tannoy as we entered a large white room. "This game will be played as a team. All players, please divide into teams of ten. You have ten minutes, ten minutes."

"Men. I just want men on my team." Harry said, clinging his hands to his head as he span around on the spot in a panic, only stopping when his eyes landed on Nico. "You - you can join me!"

"You choose me, you choose Ali." Nico said, stony faced as he took a step closer to me.

Harry's mouth fell open as he looked at me, and then at Luna, whose trembling hand I was clasping tightly.

"No. Women are weak. I want to be in a men only team. This are our lives we are betting on!"

Behind him, Hermione gave a loud scoff as Ron curled an arm protectively around her shoulders.

"Then you count me out, too, mate," he muttered darkly. "You take me, you take my wife."

"We can team up," I suggested, smiling kindly at Ron and Hermione. "Padma and Parvati will also join. And with Luna and Nico, we will only need to find three others."

Ron visibly paled, his Adam's apple bobbing in his throat as he swallowed.

"I- uh- I don't-"

"I'll have you, Patil."

Letting go of Luna's hand, I whipped around to see Draco approaching, an entourage of eight burly men following behind him.

"What the fuck dude?" Crabbe hissed. "She's a girl."

I made a show of looking down at my chest in mock surprise and letting out an exaggerated gasp. "Really? I wondered what these were about!"

Draco's lips twitched up in amusement. "It wouldn't hurt to have someone else with intelligence on our team. We have enough muscles. So, what do you say, Alia? Fancy being our tenth member?"