25 - No Better Sister Than You

"Player 096, eliminated."

"Well... that's two panels down," Nico drawled, his tone blasé after Cedric disappeared through a shattering of glass with a shout. "Just sixteen more to go."

I felt sick. And looking at the players before me, their faces literally green, it seemed I wasn't the only one.

Tracey went next, her scream echoing through the arena as the first glass panel she jumped on shattered beneath her bare feet.

"Player 308, eliminated."

No one looked down. It was impossible to. Besides, you didn't need to to know that below lay the smashed bodies of Cedric and Tracey. No one could survive a fall like that.

But then again, I suppose that was the whole point.

Trying to ignore the cold horror that had infiltrated my bones, I gingerly reached out a shaking hand and tentatively touched the arm of the player in front of me.

Padma whirled around, shooting me such an intense look that it shocked me.

"What?!" She spat. "Can't you see I'm trying to concentrate? Or do you want us all to fucking die in here?"

Behind me, I heard the unmistakable growl coming from a certain white-blond haired Slytherin, reminding me strongly of a werewolf. I did not know whether to find his protectiveness endearing or just plain annoying.

"Pads," I said, unable to keep the tremor of fear out of my voice. "Don't be this way-"

To my disconcertment, Padma threw her head back in mock laughter. "I'm sorry - would you prefer it if we hugged? Or played a little round of 'I Spy'?! Grow up, Alia. One of us needs to concentrate on surviving so that Parvati's death wasn't in vain. You just keep on screwing around like you always do and don't let a little thing like my sister's death spoil your fun."

Her harsh words were like a slap to my face.

"Our sister-" I corrected her, trying to ignore the tightening sensation in my throat, "-our sister's death."

"She died for me - not you. You have no right to call her that."

Hurt ripped through me as she turned away. I began to open my mouth to say something, but was stopped by a hand clamping firmly around my elbow.

"Leave it, Alia," Draco warned darkly from behind me. "This is not the time."

Resigned, tired and hungry, I did not argue. But when was the fucking time? I shuddered as Anthony Goldstein decided to just go for it and run, his bellows pressing against my ear drums as he predictably fell, silencing him forever more.

"Player 062, eliminated."

*****

"C'mon, bitch. Move or I'll push you myself."

A small, frightened whimper left Leanne's lips as Goyle growled at her from behind. She was frozen in fear, having forgotten which glass panels Anthony had stepped on.

I wanted to shout at Goyle to leave her be, but he had a point. If she did not get moving then we would all be dead.

"For fuck's sake," Draco muttered behind me. I glanced back to see him agitatedly push his hand through his white-blond hair, causing it to fall messily back across his eyes.

Our gaze met briefly, his Adam's apple bobbing prominently in his throat.

"He went to the left!" Isobel called out helpfully, drawing my attention back to the bridge. "He took the left pane."