39 - Jackpot

The small body balanced on my hip twisted violently around, a tiny face burying in my chest as limbs clung tightly to me.

Draco stepped back in horror as Lulu began to wail.

"Shhh, Lulu, it's okay," I soothed as I gently rocked her sobbing body, "this is your daddy. He just wants to say hello."

I felt Lulu's heart race beneath her chest as I kissed the top of her head, her soft dark curls tickling my face.

"Mumma, Mumma," she choked in a frightened voice, little fingers tightly gripping my arms.

"Shit... sorry," Draco stammered as he backed further away, "maybe this was a bad idea."

"No," I said at once, lifting my head to look at him, meeting his eyes which were full of utter desolation. "She just doesn't know who you are yet. Give her time. You're still a stranger to her."

"But I don't want to be," he whispered, a slight tremor to his voice.

My heart twisted for the both of them. But I wasn't going to give up. I could see Draco was trying so hard, given the efforts he'd made in my absence. He'd decorated the apartment in twinkling lights, there was a smell of something wonderful cooking in the oven, and hauntingly beautiful Christmas carols played in the background, transporting me back to a time that had made me happiest beyond belief.

A family Christmas.

Lula began to sob harder and I realised she was probably hungry. So, after giving her a reassuring cuddle I gently coaxed her into her highchair, whispering promises of scrambled egg.

"I can make it," Draco offered at once, "I've stocked some smoked salmon in your fridge, perhaps she'd like it with that? Mother used to make it for me all the time."

With Lula finally content and chewing furiously on her teething ring, I straightened up and turned to look at Draco who was stood nervously with his back against the wall, looking pale as a ghost.

"That'll be lovely," I smiled. "Maybe she might like it if you feed it to her, too?"

His face flooded in gratitude as he gave a swift nod, immediately moving towards the kitchen area where he got started on preparing breakfast.

Smiling, I turned to admire the tree, kneeling down to look at all the gifts wrapped up in shiny paper and festive ribbons. Most of them were labelled for Lulu, a few as well for me.

"Draco, the gifts... I wish you hadn't-"

"I wanted to." He stated firmly as he cracked eggs into a pan. "And if you're worried about me being left empty handed, then you needn't. I've already got the only gift I could ever ask for."

Our eyes met, and I felt everything inside of me flutter as we both shared a smile.

Lulu, becoming impatient, ruined the moment by angrily throwing her teether onto the floor, looking over at me with a fierce scowl.

"Daddy won't be long," I murmured soothingly before she could start wailing, "he just wants to make sure you get a special Christmas breakfast."

Lulu seemed less upset by Draco's presence when he approached with her long awaited breakfast, her little face lighting up with glee as she bounced eagerly in her chair, trying to grab at the china plate out of his hand.

"Um- Draco," I said, suddenly realising he had no idea what he was doing. "She'll probably be better off with her baby bowl. Here, I'll get it."

His face immediately fell, realising his mistake. I felt so bad for him, that I instantly took the plate from him and reached up to plant a light kiss on the underside of his jaw.