24 - Fly Me To The Moon

"Welcome, players, to the fifth game. Before we begin, please make your way down the steps and choose one of the mannequins that you see presented before you. Once you've chosen, take the corresponding vest. They are numbered one through sixteen. Let me repeat the instructions..."

Sixteen people left... sixteen numbers.

My heart raced almost at once as my eyes swept the room, my mind working quickly as I attempted to decipher the best number to go for.

I could almost hear the same panicked conversations going on inside my companions heads - because one thing was for certain: choosing the correct number was key to survival.

But without a single clue as to what the game would entail, how could anyone possibly know?

Roger Davies was the first to step forward, aiming straight for number six. "The number of girls who dropped their knickers for me in Hogwarts. Surely it's got to mean something?"

"Yeah," Nico muttered disdainfully under his breath. "It means that you're a fucking tart."

Next, Theodore Nott pushed out from the crowd, heading straight for number seven. "Nah, it's lucky number seven all the way."

It seemed to drive a handful of others into action, with people now panicking to get at their 'significant' number, all of which involved the middle ones.

Cormac went for number nine, claiming it to be the number of inches his wand was. Glaring at him, Lavender went for number ten, loudly announcing that to be the number of seconds Cormac lasts in bed.

Isobel McDougal, a quiet Ravenclaw in the year above me, opted for number eight; and Blaise, number eleven. There were ten spots left - five at the front, and five at the back.

I could feel my own panic grow. I needed to think, but if I did not hurry, then I would be left with no choice.

"Your attention please. The numbers you see on the mannequins correspond to the order in which you will be playing. Please make your decision carefully."

I had been right to remain cautious. But then I was left with yet another decision. Is it better to get a head start and go first? Or to go last and make a plan whilst the game unfolds?

I sensed him before he spoke, had felt his piercing silver eyes burning into the back of my head ever since we had stepped into the room.

"It's too dangerous to go first," Draco hummed quietly behind me, the heat of his breath gently skimming the top of my ear and causing involuntary shivers to ripple down my back. "Come on, let's take the higher numbers."

Fingers brushed lightly on my hip, an act so intimate that I had to push away the desire to twist around and reach up to touch my lips to his.

"What makes you so certain of that?" I asked warily, reluctant to go with him.

"Come on, Alia," he persisted, his face grave, "we haven't time to stand around. Going at the back makes sense. The Ravenclaw in you must know it."

I glared back at him, irritated. This was my decision to make, not his. Before I could childishly snipe that only losers go last, Harry Potter marched past us, heading straight for number one.

"Out of the way!" He demanded, pushing Tracey Davis aside just as she reached out for the vest on the first mannequin. "I think it's safe to say that I ought to be number one."

Startled, and possibly too tired and hungry to get into an argument, Tracey immediately acquiesced, opting for number two instead. But before Harry could place the vest over his head, a hand tentatively tapped his shoulder causing him to whirl around.