One month old.

Thomas Jack Thornton, was exactly one month old today. Abigail and Rosemary had gone out of there way to make a little cake for his milestone. Jack and I had decided to take Thomas on his very first trip to visit his Grandparents and his Aunties and Uncles. My sister Viola had given birth to her baby boy just before Jack and I's wedding so Thomas and her baby were pretty close in age. Jack packed our bags and we got on the stage coach. Jack was still exhausted. There had been so many cases in Hope Valley lately, he had barely any time to himself. It was eat, sleep and go for him. He fell asleep while I wrapped Thomas in a swaddle blanket. Then I put him in a baby sling, So I could cross stitch.

1 HOUR LATER:
The coach pulled up to the train station. I woke Jack up. He sat up slowly. Bags at both sides I lifted one of the lighter bags because I was still holding Thomas. Jack would handle the rest. After a short train ride, we were at the Hamilton train station waiting for the chauffeur to pick us up. "There he is come on Jack!" We marched towards father's car and we're soon seated comfortably. Shortly we were able to read the post that read W and G THATCHER. We pulled in. Jack held my hand for balance as I got out of the car. I was greeted by a loud screech and a massive hug. "Hi Julie! Be careful, Thomas is asleep." She separated quickly so Thomas could breathe. Jack was soon by my side with the bags by his feet. Mother and father came out of the house followed by Viola and her new family. " Is this my beautiful new grand baby?!?" Mother asked " He sure is!" I turned sleeping Thomas around so they could see his sweet face. "Awwwee" came from everybody. I heard Jack chuckle behind me. I smiled at him "Well come in so we can get better acquainted with this new wee fellow " I handed Thomas over to father. He carried his little body gently up to the lounge. Julie and I went upstairs to my bedroom to chat while Jack and sir Lionel ( Viola's husband ) were talking about life with a new baby. Viola's not important. She was probably with her baby and mother somewhere. Suddenly Jack came in with Thomas. He looked alarmed. "Jack?" "He's not breathing!" I sprinted to my baby as fast as I could go. I took Thomas from him and ran. I got in father's car and started driving. To the hospital. The ambulance would take to long. "HELP MY BABY'S NOT BREATHING!" a doctor took my baby from me and led him and me to a room. He put an oxygen mask on him and started Cpr.  I started crying. I'd never cried so hard. I was so scared. What if my baby died? What if the doctor's couldn't save him? What if Thomas didn't want to fight for his life? I heard a little choking before something spit out of Thomas's throat. But he wasn't out of the woods yet. Thomas could be dead for all I knew. He had gone so long without breathing, the doctors weren't sure if he'd make it. As I was told this information, I crumbled on my knees. I cried and cried and cried. I was howling. "Elizabeth?" I turned around with my puffy red eyes clearly visible. My tears obscured my vision. I wiped my tears on my dress before looking up again. It was Charles. My childhood bestfriend. This was very awkward because the last time I saw him he proposed to me, and well you can guess what I said. " Who's this tiny fellow?" "M-my son Thomas." " He's adorable. Why are you crying?" He knelt down beside me rubbing my back. "Because. He's probably going to die!" That just caused more tears. "Charles, can you do me a favour? " "of course I can" "On your break, can you please go to my home and get Jack for me? I promise I'll pay you b-back. " " Of course I will Elizabeth. That's what friends are for". An hour later, I felt Jack wrap his arms around me. "Shh Elizabeth It'll be okay.  I know it will. And if it weren't for you, Thomas definitely wouldn't be here. Did you know I'm so proud of you? You are the most incredible mother one earth. I'm confident he will be fine." He held me until I calmed down enough to talk to him. "But Jack! What if he doesn't? What will we do then?" "We will take it one day at a time, But he will make it honey. he's half Thatcher. You just need to have a little faith in the man upstairs." "I'll try" I said half laughing half crying. As night fell Jack went back to my parents house to get some things for the night. I set up our beds while he watched Thomas.