“We're having a baby.” my dad says after a dramatic pause

“What do you mean?” I ask confused

Even Heaven who has been acting unbothered for a while looks at our two parents in shock.

“That day when I came home drunk, I finally told my friends at work that my wife was pregnant and they insisted we go out for drinks. I accidentally drank a little too much.” he explains it like it's the happiest moment in the world but it's really not.

How can Danielle be pregnant??!

I should've known, what with the talk about a doctor and the throwing up and everything

Now that they have a child together, what's going to happen to I and Heaven?
It's no longer going to be ‘his daughter’ or ‘her daughter’, it's going to be ‘our child’.

This child is going to be their first child together. What if they love this child more than Heaven and I?

“And you guys didn't tell us since? When were you actually going to tell us? When the bump becomes too obvious to hide?” I ask the question that is on my mind.

My dad said they found out about the baby two months ago so obviously the baby should be more than two months, even if a bit

Our mom is more than two months pregnant and they didn't deem it fit to tell us this earlier? I can't believe they would keep something like this from us.

“We wanted to tell you guys a while back but we didn't know how you would take it. We wouldn't obviously have waited till the bump came out.” my dad says in their defence

This seems totally unreal. I can't believe Danielle is really pregnant. I just can't believe it.

“Paris? You're not saying anything.” Danielle says worried

Of course I'm not saying anything! What do you say to ‘Hey your step mom's pregnant and she's been pregnant for more than two months and this is our first baby together JSYK’.

I feel like there's nothing to say to that.
There is literally no way to react to that.

“What do you guys want me to say?” I say eerily calm

Maybe they're expecting me to say something like ‘that's so cool that you're having a baby and you didn't tell us. I totally understand’; but I don't.
I don't understand it and I am not excited about this news; especially since it took them two months to tell us.

Or maybe they're expecting me to start screaming ‘I feel so betrayed! I can't believe you guys kept this from us!’

Yes I feel betrayed but I'm not going to start screaming at them, it's not going to change anything. Danielle is pregnant and they didn't trust I and Heaven enough to tell us earlier, that's not going to change  if I start screaming now

“We want to know how you feel about this.” Danielle urges me to talk

I don't want to talk though. I don't want to say something I'll regret later

I won't deny that I'm really pissed about all this. I won't deny that I'm scared that this new child would change everything, I won't even deny that I'm a little jealous; it being their first child together and everything.

But I don't think I want to tell them all of these things.
I don't see the point.

“I don't feel anything.” I lie

I know that's going to hurt more than me saying I'm angry or I feel betrayed but I don't really mind.

“You can't be serious.” Danielle says nearly in tears