Chapter 5

While I was messing about on AAU with Marie-Claire, Fletch and Harry, I got a text from Daddy.

'I'm getting in a takeaway for tea. My office for 6 pm. BE THERE. Love Daddy xxx'

Definitely his usual charming tone.

I locked my phone and rejoined the conversation and tucked into my muffin.

"I take it you enjoyed that!" Marie-Claire smiled at me, referring to the muffin. I looked into my lap and there were crumbs everywhere.

'Sshh' I giggled. I stood up and brushed the crumbs off of my lap.

6 pm soon came around, and it was time for me to go and join Daddy for tea. I was guessing that Jac and Zosia had been invited, but it was anyone's guess if they were going to turn up.

As I walked up the hallway towards Dad's office, I could hear raised voices. I crept up to the door and pressed my back to the wall. I stood with my back with the door and listened.

"I don't know how you handle her." Jac yelled.

"She's a sweet, caring girl. They both are. She'll warm up to you eventually." Daddy said calmly, trying to ease the situation.

"She's not a child anymore! I can't win her over with cake and sweets guy!" Jac yelled.

I couldn't listen to this. I turned around and headed back for my bed on Darwin, I got a text from Daddy as I was walking onto the ward.

'Darling? Where are you? Hope everything's okay, love dad xxx'

I decided I was going to have to bite the bullet and join them for tea.

I walked back up to daddy's office, and this time I couldn't hear any argueing. I opened the door and I lingered just inside the doorway, and what I saw, surprised me.

Dad and Zosia where both kneeling either side of the coffee table in the middle of his office, working on a 3000 piece jigsaw together. Jac was sat at Daddy's desk in his swivel chair. He never let anyone sit in his swivel chair. It reminded me a time of when Mama was still alive, I could only have been about 5, it was late one night and I came down stairs because I couldn't sleep, and Zosia and Dad where sat doing a jigsaw over the coffee table in the living room while Mama was busy dashing around cleaning up the house. Dad had sent Zosia to put me back to bed, but not after she'd finished her half of the jigsaw. Coming back into the real world, I wiped a what could have been a tear off of my cheek, those where old times and very unlikely to happen again, under the circumstances.

"Princess?" Zosia smiled, a genuine smile.  I smiled back.

"Come here!" Zosia said getting up and coming to the door and hugging me. At least she wasn't mad at me anymore.

"Zosia.." I laughed, hitting her so she would let go of me.

Zosia went and rejoined dad on the floor at the side of the coffee table to finish the jigsaw. I went and sat down on the beanbag in front of dads desk and got my phone out. Jac came and sat next to me on the floor. She still had her surgical scrubs on.

"Are you feeling okay?" Jac asked me. I put down my phone for a second to talk to her.