Chapter 17

The weekend couldn't come fast enough. I couldn't wait for Jac to come and visit me at school. Almost every weekend someone or other was being visited by their mum at school, but of course I had never had that opportunity until Dad started dating Jac. Zosia had visited me lots at boarding school, but being visited by your sister is not the same as being visited by your mum. I just wanted Jac to come and take me away, even if it was only for the afternoon. I think 'he' has singled me out from the other girls, because I don't go home a lot, and I hardly have anybody come and visit me. Zosia comes once in a blue moon but that's about it.

I was looking forward to the weekend so much, and the week passed by ever so slowly. When Saturday afternoon finally came, as soon as I got the text from Jac to say she was on her way, I was sat under the window waiting for her to arrive. I eventually heard the faint roar of a motorbike engine and I knew it was Jac. I watched her ride all the way up the school drive and park her bike outside reception before I moved. I ran as fast as I could through the boarding house, almost going flying down the stairs. When I finally got to reception where Jac was, I jumped into her arms.

"Someone's happy to see you!" The receptionist laughed at me, with a smile on her face. She knew how excited I was about this afternoon.

"Someone isn't supposed to be running because someone recently had open heart surgery!" Jac said sternly, raising her eyebrows, but smiling and hugging me back.

Jac completed the paperwork which gave her permission to take me out of school, and as we were about to leave, 'he' walked down the corridor towards us. I took Jac's hand and attempted to pull her out of reception, hoping to make a quick exit but I wasn't quick enough.

"You must be Ms. Jacqueline Naylor?" He asked as he approached me and Jac.

"I am indeed." She replied. I stepped away from this teacher and slightly behind Jac so I was further away from him.

"I've read about your work, it's very interesting." He said. I could tell what he was doing, he was trying to get her on side, so she stood less of a chance of believing me.

"Thank you, I would love to stand around and talk to you about it, but we should be going. I don't have a massive amount of time off this afternoon." Jac replied. I knew this wasn't true, she had all afternoon off, but I guessed she had picked up on my uneasiness.

"well I best be getting back to work anyway myself, lessons to teach, school to run!" He responded.

"Nice to meet you." He added.

"Nice to meet you too." Jac replied. He went to put his arm around me and I went as stiff as a board. She watched my reaction and I was so paranoid about anyone finding out that I thought she was going to question me right there and then on the spot

I followed Jac outside and she handed me the spare motorbike helmet for her bike.

"I will buy you your own, and some leathers, but for today that will do!" Jac smiled.

"Yay! Thank you." I replied, I had never been on a motorbike before I met Jac, but it had become common because she knew how much I enjoyed it.

"I thought we could go and hang out in the gardens of my university as its such a nice hot day?" She suggested.

"Yeah, that's cool with me." I replied, jumping on the back of the bike. Jac climbed on the front of the bike and pulled away.

As we rode away from the school, I turned to look. The sight of the school disappearing over the brow of the hill made me happy.