Chapter 16

I burst onto the roof and let out a scream as the slammed the stair well door shut behind me. Tears were streaming down my face, I was so angry at dad for sending me back to school and not telling me about it. I was also very angry that Jac & Zosia knew what Dad was planning and didn't tell me. They should have warned me instead of ganging up on me like that.

I walked over to the edge of the roof and sat down against the perimeter wall. The wall was high enough for to stop you falling over it, but small enough to sit against safely. I sat with my back against the wall and sat with my knees up and my chin on my knees. I wiped my face on the sleeve of my hoodie and pulled my phone out of my pocket.

All I wanted to do was have a cuddle from Jaz so I sent her a text.

'Daddy is sending me back to school today, I just found out. I'm up on the roof. Please come but only you, no one else. Xxx'

It took her a few minutes to respond.

'I go on my lunch break in 10, I'll be there then – stay strong. Xxx'

True to her word, within a quarter of an hour Jaz came through the stair well door and trotted over the rooftop towards me. She sat down next to me and put her arm around me. I leant into her and cried.

"I d-d-don't want to go back..." I sobbed.

"But we knew you would have to go back at some point." Jaz said softly, kissing me on the forehead then resting her chin on the top of my head.

"But I don't want to go back to that school." I mumbled.

"It's not ideal, but you have my number, you can text or call day or night, and I'll come up and take you out for food or something to get you away from there for a bit?" She said brushing my fringe out of my eyes, she was doing her best to be fair, but I just really did not want to go back.

"I hate it." I muttered and wiped my cheeks with my sleeve again.

"Jac and Zosia knew, and the didn't tell me." I mumbled to Jaz, I was angry at them about this.

"I can understand your point of view, but I can also understand theirs." She said.

"We all know you don't want to go back, so if you had been told, you would have been upset, rather than enjoying your last few days." Jaz explained. I could understand her point of view but it still wasn't fair. I turned into her fully, and lent my head on her chest and snuggled into her. She wrapped her arms around me and hugged me tightly. She held me while I sobbed for a few minutes before helping me calm down.

"You need to calm down and try and take control of your breathing, otherwise you're going to make yourself sick." Jaz said finally. She could tell I was on the verge of hyper ventilating. I knew she was right.

"I-I-I.." I tried to say, but couldn't quite get my words out and finish my sentence.

"Focus on me." Jaz said calmly. I looked up at her, and then crawled into her lap so my head was resting on her chest and she had her arms and legs around me cuddling me.

"Okay, 5 things that you can touch." She began.

"Roof...hoodie...you...my phone... shoes" I mumbled.

"4 things that you can see." She continued.

"You...cars...railings...phone." I added.

"3 things that you can hear." She said.

"You, people talking, a siren." I said, by this time my breathing was much more under control and I could speak properly.

"2 things that you can smell." Jaz added.