5 - doubts

"So... you came." The voice coming from behind the door at the end of the corridor was different. Different from the first time when he almost grabbed you and different from that time when he appeared in a small cloud, right in front of your eyes. It was not as rough and deep as you remembered it to be; it was calm and almost sweet, which made you wonder if it was his real voice.

You stood in front of the door with hands closed into fists, one of them holding the pearl necklace very tight to fool yourself into thinking that you weren't actually trembling. "Why did you want me to come?"

"To talk to you."

"Listen, I promised my father I wouldn't even look at your door, so if he finds me here it will be the end for the both of us. Cut the crap, tell me what you want from me."

The demon chuckled briefly, as if he found your angry reaction funny. "Okay, okay. What a feisty doll we have here."

You inhaled deeply before talking again; you had no intention of staying there so that he could tease you and then end up being discovered by your father.. "I'm leaving."

"No, okay, wait. I'm gonna tell you, don't go."

"Then speak!" You exclaimed out of frustration. "I don't want to be caught."

"I wanted to ask you a question."

"That's why I'm here? Because you're curious about something?" You crossed your arms.

"Yes."

"Then I'll ask you one as well."

"Deal" he answered immediately, and when he did so, you automatically took a step back because his voice was very, very close. He had probably moved right next to the door. "I go first. Do you know how weird it is that you still didn't snitch on me? Why didn't you tell your father about me?"

You scoffed. "Are you serious? Because you didn't let me!" You said in an obvious tone.

"I only stopped you twice, and didn't send you any messages for days. You could've told your father many, many times. I can't read your mind, not when you have that necklace on you, therefore I couldn't even know if you ever planned on telling him... so, why?"

You opened your mouth to answer but nothing came out of it - you didn't have an excuse for that, and you couldn't come up with one either. Honestly, you had wondered about that many times, yet you hadn't been able to give yourself a decent answer. You looked down and scrolled your shoulders. "I don't know."

"Is it because you enjoy communicating with me? Don't be shy about it, I won't tell anyone."

"As if you had so many people around you who'd be interested" you rolled your eyes, and for a moment you almost forgot you were talking to a devil. A devil which your father kept super safe because of his dangerous nature. "I don't have a reason. I guess it's because you didn't really do anything to hurt me, until today."

"I didn't try to hurt you" the demon immediately defended himself, as if that statement had offended him.

"You hurt Xander." You specified.

"And I helped him afterwards."

Your voice was now filled with sarcasm. "You know, if you hurt someone and then heal them, it doesn't cancel the bad action you did before. You still hurt that fairy, almost killed him, and the fact that he's now okay doesn't mean you're a good pers- being."

"Who said I wanted to be a good being?" The devil was now laughing. "The word good doesn't even exist in my vocabulary."

"Yet, you helped Xander."