Clapping Back

Palace etiquette and protocol stated the emperor and empress enter the dining area first and stand at their seats followed by the consorts in order of their position in the harem. Once the remaining consorts enter and find their seats, the emperor and empress sit first then everyone else may sit. This is taught to every consort upon entry to the harem and each child when they are old enough to partake in family dinners.

Shaugn's words were barely out of his mouth when Shilian and Sieh spun on their heels and marched into the dining room ahead of him. Goren gave a mocking smile and followed them. Maryam and the twins gasped at their brazenness. Even the guards looked at each other with widened eyes.

"They've lost their minds," Dane muttered.

"Your majesty-"

Shaugn kept his smile behind the fan and held his hand up to quiet them. He put one arm behind his back and walked into the dining room unbothered. Let them enjoy their arrogance. They were all destined to question life after this meal.

The other consorts continued to mind their manners and followed in behind him. Even though the previous three consorts were already sitting, they stood by their chairs and waited on word from the empress. Shaugn gave them all a small nod and sat in his seat.

Shilian put her elbows on the table and stuffed a melon ball in her mouth. "Why did you call us all for lunch two days in a row?"

Shaugn picked up his fork and began to eat the fruit salad put before them. That little bit at breakfast was nowhere near enough. "Does the empress need a reason to dine with their fellow consorts?"

"No, but..." she was at loss as to what to say next.

Goren sipped the white wine in front of him. He smirked at Shaugn. "It's not like you."

"No?" Shaugn sipped his juiced and leaned back in his seat. His dark eyes looked around the table at the other consorts before landing on the terrible trio. "What exactly is it you think you know about me?"

Shillian snorted. "You're a duju from a low-ranked physician family."

"Oh?" Shaugn raised a brow. Is that all she had to say about him? Sounded like the same regurgitated story passed on from one of the other consorts replayed again and again and again. "How don't I know my family is low ranked?" He asked with a playful tone.

"You're not from one of the top noble families." Sieh lifted her chin, pointing her nose in the air. "Anything less is low ranked."

Shaugn looked around the table. Several of the consorts had their heads down. One was openly glaring at the three, gripping her fork as if to stab them. They were starting to splinter. He added more fuel to the fire.

He leaned forward as if he was listening with interest. "So by that logic your fellow consorts are less than you is what you're saying?"

"That's right." Sieh gave a short nod.

His dark eyes landed on Shilian. "What about you? You were a maid. You were a servant. Lower than the low ranked."

Shilian's face turned red and her lips had disappeared into a thin line. Goren and Sieh's faces changed. While not exactly bosom buddies, the three acted together a number of times to make OG's life hell. Shilian was by no means the nastiest in her means. But she was the loudest and most verbal with OG.

Shaugn dug his knife a little deeper. "Had you not climbed the emperor's bed you'd still be a servant cleaning out the chamber pot of the first consort."

Juice sprayed on the side of the face of one of the twins. Dane began coughing loudly into a napkin. Jazzaia bit her lower lip trying to suppress a laugh.