Diminished Ministers

A group of ministers huddled off to one side talking in low voices.

"Do you think the empress got through all of the memorials?"

"Doubtful."

"So what if he did? What can he do?"

"Most of the memorials are nonsense. He'll be bogged down for a long time."

"Long enough to keep him out of our hair."

There were several low chuckles.

Approaching soundlessly, Etan's voice came to their ears from behind. "Be mindful of your words, gentlemen."

The group turned in surprise. Seeing who it was, The Right Minister snorted. "Why?"

A minister in his camp raised a provocative brow. "What's that little duju going to do?"

A trace of coldness flashed in his eyes before Etan's gaze returned to indifference. "That duju is the empress and is the same as the emperor when he is gone."

Someone snorted in disdain.

The Right Minister lifted his chin in an attempt to make himself seem taller. "He should stay in the harem and fulfill his duty of birthing an heir."

A head taller than the minister, Etan looked down at the minister trying to prostrate like he was something other than what he was. The corner of his mouth lifted in a slight smirk. "There are already several heirs." He glanced at one of the ministers that had followed him. "Isn't that right, Minister?"

The minister nodded with a smile. "The oldest prince is near ten, I believe."

The Right Minister's face darkened. "The eldest prince is born of a foreigner and isn't right for ruling."

A group of soldiers entered the courtroom. The man in charge carried an oppressive momentum causing others to look awa or go silent as he passed them. His dark eyes stared forward not paying attention to anyone not in tune with his goals. As he approached the group of gossiping ministers, one rubbed his goatee and said with a nasty smile on his face,

"Surprising enough, why hasn't the general's daughter produced an heir for our beloved emperor? Indeed she's rough and manly, but surely she's not incapable of producing one or two for our beloved emperor."

Jazziah's father and his two guards paused in their steps. The general turned to face the speaker then snorted and kept walking to his place.

"General, we can't let them say whatever they want."

The general sat with his legs crossed and lay his sword across his lap. "They're just words. Let barking dogs do what they do."

"But-"

His eyes scanned the court room and several ministers who had dealings with the empress gave him a half nod when they met eyes. "These men are shallow minded and short-sighted. They are not what deserves our attention."

"Then what does?"

His eyes caught sight of the lean minister with the cold expression looking several points like the emperor. "The actions of the empress."

Etan walked through the noisy chamber and his indifferent gaze swept over the ministers conversing in their little corners. His house had been busy the last two days with ministers coming to the door wanting to ask him if he knew what the empress was doing and when was the emperor coming back. A mocking smile touched his lips. These stodgy bastards were too used to be in control. Too bad the empress was not something they could handle.

The signal for court to start made the ministers stop their conversations and head to their seats. They stood beside their tables with their hands at their sides. Ruten walked in and loudly announced the arrival of the empress. The ministers put their hands on their hearts and bent at the waist. Their loud voices lifted the roof.