Alicization: Beginning

Welcome to Alicization: Lycoris and Steel. I think this is still the longest story of all my SAO writings.

Like previous stories that include the video games, this follows the main SAO canon, not the gameverse canon, so there are lots of changes except for one exception, and that's because Cardinal is very important. With that said...poor Eugeo.

Only the main story of Alicization Lycoris is included, so the future DLCs are not going to appear. They're getting their own side story next year, so the ending of this tale to leads right into War of Underworld.

With all that said, enjoy the first chapter!

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

June 28th, 2026, Gun Gale Online

"These guys are well organized. Almost too well organized." I move my binoculars around, getting a view of the large group of enemy players down by a river below. I've honestly forgotten why we're here, but Sinon wanted to do this job but with another group of players, so here we are hunting what I believe to be PKers. As one of two people who have enough GGO experience to lead such an operation, but the only one with leadership experience on big tasks, I stick to the highlands with my bird's-eye view and my devoted Arfa-Sys, Rei. "Are there more than I'm seeing?"

She nods. "I detect more hostile deeper in the woods, Master. Are you sure I shouldn't message Kureha and Zeliska for help?"

I fold my arms as I lower the optic enhancers. "No, I don't want to spoil their 'girls night out'. It's bad enough I took you out of it, Kureha is gonna hit me where it hurts. Would have asked Itsuki, but he's still busy with his investigation. Pito and the others are doing God knows what. So we can't rely much on Crimson Squad. Besides, I got two great girls here. You, my adorable Arfa-Sys, and my pretty sniper down below."

"This 'pretty sniper' can hear you."

I smirk as I scan the forest beyond the clearing. Checking my map, she's being chased towards the designated rendezvous point by two hostiles. "Sinon, we shouldn't keep lying to ourselves, we're a match made in heaven."

"Oh, I agree. Ever since we first met here in GGO, we had a connection. And our time together in ALO, SA:O, and the real world solidified it. But what are we to do about it?"

Nodding to Rei. I leap off the cliff and slide down to the woods below. "Well, there's a few issues, one being that Rei's a big talker too… But we can handle that, right?"

"We've tackled a rogue Arfa-Sys, a traitor, a Frost Giant, a virtual drug addict, a goddess, and a professor trying to steal memories. We also came in second and third at the fourth Battle of Bullets. I think we can handle those problems. What do you think?"

Landing on flat ground, I surround myself in a red aura and sprint towards the clearing. I can hear the sound of a motor. Right on time. "Ah, well… I think you should shoot those guys first."

"Ah, that's a good idea." I hear the sound of gunfire a moment later, one belonging to a sniper. "Shit, I missed! No, he dodged!" Sinon's vulnerable now, but I arrive just in time, grabbing her and allowing my Hyper Awareness skill to protect us. We passively dodge the assailants' gunfire until they realize they can't hit me. However, they do keep their aim on me, thinking they'll wait until the skill deactivates. But at that moment, they're too late to realize they're in trouble.

VROOM! A car leaps over us, interrupting the bullet lines of the enemy. They fire at the car but eventually retreat as the occupants fire back.