Reunion of Sisters

Sustnel Mountains, Norlangarth

"May I explain what the sentry said yesterday?"

I look away from the landscape to Medina, who previously rode her horse beside me in silence. I didn't have much to say to her, but she is leading the group through the territory. Alice and Eydis take the rearguard and I'm sure Eydis is doing her best to keep her sister's spirits up. I guess I have to do the same for Medina since I was a witness to what happened. "You don't have to, you know?"

As usual, she goes along with what she wants. "As you heard, the sentry… I hadn't seen him since my father's funeral. And it's my fault that Father died."

"How is that so?"

"Despised by the northern empire, House Orthinanos was assigned land to the far west of here, unfit for growing crops. We also weren't allowed to work in the military or government. So, despite our standing, we were poor. Still, I had a happy childhood. I loved swordplay training with my father. Father was kind and answered any insult with a jest. I was so proud of him. But due to an extended drought, our land became even more barren than before. My father could even buy me a new wooden sword, something all nobles had. Upset that I couldn't train for the academy test, I lashed out at Father. And I said the most hurtful thing to him: 'My life would be far better if I was born into a different family.' That was the last time we ever spoke."

"I always have to be different, to be around people I don't like! You brought me to a place I don't belong! I don't care if I never come out of my room ever again!" I said that the night before SAO launched to my mother and father, fed up with school, and living in a foreign land. I shake off my own thoughts and focus on Medina. "How did your father die?"

"He tried to win a horse race, without any experience, to get money for my sword. And then… Due to some nobles' plot, he fell off his horse and down a cliff and died. That man was one of the riders who tricked my father."

"Hmm. But you didn't kill him, the nobles did."

"I figured you'd say that. You're always trying to be so nice. But it's true. And that's...that's why I need to clear our name. To atone for killing Father."

I shake my head. "But Medina…" I'm interrupted by the sound of hurried horse hooves. Looking forward, I see Ronie ride with two soldiers from farther up the road, where she, Tiese, and Sortiliena scout ahead with some wayfarers. They're carrying a crocodile-like beast with them, which means the group came across some trouble further along the road to Zakkaria. I halt the carts behind me and address Ronie as she rides up. "What's up, Ronie?"

"Miss Liena told me to let you see this beast. She says there's something strange about the ones we came across. There was no sign of a Clamp nearby, so it is part of the natural habitat."

Medina and I drop off our horses and join the newcomers in analyzing the carcass. It's cut up, which I would expect from a fight against swordsmen, and that's the only sign I see. "What's actually wrong? Seems you did good work against it."

"This is the one I killed in one hit from the wound at the throat."

"Wait, one hit? What about the other wounds on the body?"

"These are not sword wounds," Medina states. "They're too small, even for...less experienced swordsmen. Also, note how pointed they are. Not even my katana is that pointed."

"The wounds are shallow too. As if…"

"They were made by a child. Does that mean the children could be nearby?"