Thundering Tensions

Villind Plateaus, Wesdarath

“I was caught in the middle of a railroad track.”

“Thunder!”

“I looked around and I knew there was no turning back.”

“Thunder!”

“My mind raced, and I thought, what could I do?”

“Thunder!”

“And I knew there was no help, no help from you.”

“Thunder!”

“Sound of the drums, beating in my heart The thunder of guns tore me apart… You’re been--”

“Thunderstruck!” As Linel and Fizel join me in my sing-a-long, I can hear Eydis and the rest of the team (well, I think Renly is here) laughing at the three of us. I’m just trying to lighten the mood and all as we enter the Villind Plateaus, the region just outside the Western Ravine. We can see the part of the End Mountains that makes up the ravine, and the lightning that reportedly blocks the path.

“You’re just going to corrupt those two even further than they already are.”

“Oh, we don’t appreciate that. Girls, show Eydis how much we don’t like her comment.” The three of us face Eydis and stick out tongues out at her, in which she responds back with. Laughing, she faces the road ahead.

“Guess it’s too late.”

Fizel smiles as she looks at me. “Jaymes is a great boss! Maybe you should become our new boss!”

Linel nods. “Yes! New boss!”

I pat both girls on their heads and shake my own. “But you don’t want to make Deusolbert sad and lonely, do you?”

“Hmm… I’ve never seen him sad.”

“But annoying Eydis is getting boring, that much is true.”

I chuckle and look at Eydis, who glares at the girls. “All right, don’t rile her up yet.”

“Uh huh… Oh, hey, look, a wayfarer. Looks like he’s hurt.” Eydis rushes over to the armored young man sitting on the side of the road. “Hey, are you okay?”

He looks up at Eydis and then the rest of us as we come over. “Traitors! Don’t touch me… I-I have to hurry and call for reinforcements.”

Eydis sighs and stands up. “Definitely a wayfarer. Look, I get you’re only following your ‘savior’s’ instructions if you encounter us, but maybe we can help you out. What’s with the reinforcements?”

“I’ll never tell any of you filthy traitors!”

Sortiliena crosses her arms. “You aren’t in the best shape to refuse our help, friend.”

Alice steps forward. “A proposal. You’re under orders to slay beasts, so we will help you carry out those orders. Allow us to slay those beasts for you. In return for telling us where the beasts are, we will treat your wounds.”

The wayfarer considers this before giving his answer. “I’ll tell you. So please, help my companions!”

I appreciate what Alice did, but it bugs me just a bit. Not negatively, but just a little...sense of familiarity with a partner of old. “Alice, heal him, then let’s listen to what he has to say.”