Confrontation

Minelda Rocks, Wesdarath

By the time we arrive at the fort, my mood is completely sour. Not sour enough to be unnecessarily rude or anything, but sour enough to let something that annoys me led to unnecessary retaliation. We've traveled all day without much rest, and the rations we had were...unfilling, so blame my mood on long travels, nasty bars, and pile on the stuff of the last two or so days. Yeah, I'm beyond reasonably calm, and the source of it comes from this fort. It also could originate from Eydis' own anger, which is more obvious than my own. She's wearing it like a mask.

Along with Alice, we venture across the stone bridge to the fort. The wayfarers along the way look at us as if we're from another world, (one-third correct, to their credit), but we ignore them until we come to the gate guard. I try my best to be cordial. "We would like to see Lady Medina."

"You shall not pass. Savior's orders."

If Kirito was here, he would suggest finding another way in, and everyone in the group would support that. I'm not Kirito...and I'm tired of searching for Medina. "Alice, Eydis, if you're not going to approve of why I'm about to do, close your eyes." I give both girls a moment to decide then throw my arm out, forcing the wayfarer aside with a blast of wind. As he lands alive and a little shaken on the ground, the wayfarers on the bridge become alarmed and take up arms. Eydis draws her sword, forming her clones to stand between us and them.

Alice sighs and looks at both of us. "You two cannot help but make noise."

"It makes things interesting, Little Cutie, and to be honest, these whole thing is not making me feel like being peaceful."

As more wayfarers come from within the keep down to the gate, I glare up, knowing she must be in earshot. "Medina! Unless you want to these the might of two Integrity Knights and the fabled Lord of Knights, I suggest you let us in!"

"How dare you address our savior with such vulgarity!"

"Wait!" Ah, there she is, high and mighty on the upper level of this ruined fort. "Let them in. Bring them to me."

"Yes, my savior!" The wayfarers lessen their threat and move out of our way. Satisfied, I sheathe my sword and Eydis recalls her clones. Seeing no one got hurt, I look at the one-eyed blonde and smile.

"See, this is my type of diplomacy. Got the job done."

"Hmm... I cannot disagree with that."

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

As if Empress Kayode inspired her, Medina sits on a throne as we enter what I will call her 'throne room'. She doesn't seem excited, sad, or angry to see us, which is how I believe her to truly be. Someone who doesn't wear what they're truly feeling on their face unless pushed to a mental extreme. Yet, I noticed it that day, but what did I miss when I last saw Medina? What was the cause...and why was this the effect?

"It's been a while, Jaymes, Eydis, Alice." Medina stands up and takes two steps forward, but not walking down to our level. "What business do you have with me, Medina Orthinanos?"

"Nice fort. Let's start with the part where you leave without saying anything, Orthinanos."

"Please, allow me to apologize for any trouble my disappearance has caused. But to all of you, my presence was not necessary. Nor has it ever been."

Is that how she feels? "If you expect me to beg you to think otherwise, I won't. But we do think otherwise. You could say we were worried about you. I was worried about you."