The Hunt For Children

Lockiss Rocks, Norlangarth

“House Orecyan… Have you ever heard of them?”

Medina shakes her head. “It doesn’t pain me to say it, but the names of the realm’s nobility lost much interest to me since they don’t recognize my own family.”

“As for me,” Sortiliena continues, “I’ve heard little of them. If they’re this close to the former castle, they may have once been close to the emperors. If the man we spoke to is correct, the family may not be there, but in Centoria.”

I soak in that information and gaze up towards the extravagant estate. “Well, we are here, so pray we may be able to talk to someone if they’re here.”

“Halt,” the guard at the estate’s front commands us. “This is the historic Orecyan estate. Entry is prohibited!”

Of course. Now I could let Eydis use her status, or even try Sortiliena’s, but there’s a chance Orecyan is a first or second class noble and I don’t want to drive a wedge into Alice and Eydis’ relationship. I personally don’t care how Alice sees me, but I do need her cooperation beyond mutual allies and common goals, so I decide to introduce myself with the basics. “I’m Jaymes, a soldier in the Anti-Cedar Task Force. We’ve come here regarding a certain incident.”

“The master of this house has proclaimed that none shall enter.”

Eydis grows frustrated. “Can we just talk to--”

“That won’t be necessary. Now be on your way at once!”

I relent before Eydis goes any further. “Fine, we’ll go.” I lead us away from the guard before Eydis utilizes her authority against my request. It is frustrating dealing with nobility, and I’m sure the nobles of our group, Medina especially, have dealt with their...ways throughout their lives. As an upper-class boy myself, I know very well how these people think of themselves… Once we’re out of sight, I face the gang. “So the hard way is out of the equation…”

“I don’t think we should try sneaking in,” Tiese says. “Might be impossible...and definitely against the Index.”

“Well, if the carriage comes here, how about we wait until then?”

Ronie’s idea may work. “You have a point...and if anything, they’ll wait until nightfall. Okay, let’s regroup at camp, then return before sunset.”

xxxxxxxxxx

Later

While Medina watches over the estate, Eydis and I sit nearby around a fire. I impatiently stare into the flames while looking at the moody Integrity Knight in my peripheral. Since the task calls for stealth, I only brought the two with me and Eydis came without her armor. We’ve been out for an hour and a half now, no carriage in sight, and I hope there’s a meal waiting for me back at camp.

“What if a carriage doesn’t pass through tonight,” Eydis inquires. “We’d wasted a day searching for the kids. We could have used my authority back then.”

“Alice did not want that. For someone who wants to see her desires fulfilled, I’m actually shocked you’re against her.”

“I’m not against her, it’s...there’s a difference between use and abuse of power. The nobles are clearly abusing it. Sentries leaving post, endangering the people they’re supposed to be protecting, or remaining where they are and doing nothing to save some kids… That does not equate to us using our authority to find them! Is that so wrong?”