Mother and Son, Part One

Hours later

“How the hell Eugeo and Kirito made it up fifty floors is beyond me,” Medina says as the seven of us plus Bercouli ride an elevator up to the 95th floor. I wish traversing up the 100 levels of Aincrad was this easy in comparison, though it was a cakewalk getting to this point. Monsters, monsters, and monsters impeded our path, forcing us to leave the wayfarers and most of the Integrity Knights down below. Bercouli will remain on the 95th, as planned, leaving anything and everything above it to the seven members of his most trusted squad.

“Maybe we should have flown dragons up here,” Eydis says. “Or climbed the outside, right Alice?”

“Eydis!”

Sortiliena chuckles. “Anything would have been better than what we just went through. Yet I have a feeling we may have it easier up here, traveling-wise.”

Tiese nods. “The upper five floors were the parts raised from the cathedral, right? Maybe there aren’t any Clamps up here.”

“Or the biggest one yet,” Ronie reminds us. “Remember what Medina said, the Pontifex’s body is up here.”

I’ll have to keep that in mind. “Well, we’re almost at the top. If everything has gone well, we may have gotten here in the nick of time.” I turn around as the platform ceases movement and hear the collective gasps of the group. I’m confused for a moment until I lay eyes on Hersyrian...and the beautiful woman standing beside him that reminds me of Strea, yet more sinister than my mischievous friend. “...Oh shit.”

“But… But…”

“Is this the reborn Administrator?”

Hersyrian bows to us. “Oh, if it isn’t the savior, the invader, the grimy criminals, and the Integrity Puppets. Thank you so much for coming to our little celebration.”

“Damn you, Hersyrian.”

“You really brought back the Ponitfex.”

Hersyrian turns to Quinella (a clothed Quinella, at that), who stares at us quietly. “Mother, dearest, everyone’s here to celebrate your awakening and ascension.”

“Control… I control and rule all… I… I…”

“She’s acting weird,” Eydis comments. “Is she really Administrator?”

“Mother? The Pontifex didn’t have a son,” Bercouli says.

“Indeed,” Hersyrian confirms. “One wouldn’t want to let something grow in her pure, beautiful body. One of tainted blood such as I could never be allowed to be born of her body.”

“Hersyrian, what the hell are you?”

“All right, weirdo, what the hell is going on? What is this Administrator?”

“It appears to be a raised minion, but it’s different from the others we’ve seen. It seems to have no will of ifs own. Just a cloud of memories.”

“I agree. I feel no restriction to my desire to cut this woman down.”

I now grow tired of the weirdo’s games. “Answer me, Hersyrian! What the hell have you done?”