Hello? Mr. Kikuoka>

“So what is it,” I ask Bercouli as he leads me to a tree-filled area of the ACTF base. He wants to speak to me privately before my team departs for the eastern kingdom, so I leave final preparation for that to Eydis and Alice. Still, Bercouli speaking to me alone is quite...nerve-racking.

“You can relax. I just want to show you my abilities.”

“But I’ve seen them before when you fought Hersyrian.”

Bercouli shakes his head. “Not quite. Its Memory Release ability, which I don’t terribly enjoy unleashing.”

“Why show it to me here and now?”

“We just had to deal with Medina having her faith in the Pontifex twisted against us. And as you’re well aware, that same vulnerability remains in those of us with Piety Modules installed.”

He has a point. Even though they’ve done well, even Alice and Eydis are suspectible to the Senate Representative and, though Alice’s case may be exempt, even the Pontifex’s influence. “I don’t see you falling to Hersyrian, though.”

“If I was alone, you would be right. But the fact remains, I am commander of the Axiom Church’s Integrity Knights and my subordinates are both my strength and my weakness. I will not hesitate to kill anyone to protect them, not even you. That said, I do owe you and Kirito a great deal, so I would prefer it to be a fair fight.”

I nod. “I completely understand. I know that sentiment very well. So what’s your Time-Piercing Sword’s Memory Release?”

“It’s called Doublecross, which cuts time like Nullcross, but instead of the future, it cuts the past. With it, I can cut the location my target was ten minutes prior to damage them now.”

“That’s...impressive. And I can probably see why you wouldn’t want to use it unless it was a last resort.”

“Indeed. It’s an unblockable, unavoidable blow, which forgoes effort and technique. Of course, to use it I need to keep track of where you were exactly ten minutes ago.”

“Probably not easy to do, but I’m sure you can.”

“Probably not someone like you. But would you like to find out? I would certainly like to know.”

Not even the part of me that likes a good duel wants to know if I could be struck down ten minutes before it happens. “I hope that’s not why you really called me here.”

“Of course not. Although I AM curious, as I have watched you cross swords with others yet never got the opportunity myself. Knowing your strength would put me at ease, since civilians are in your hands.”

“Fair.” I reach for my blade and partially take it out. “Shall we--”

“Goodness. We’ve finally found you. What are you doing all the way out here?”

“What are you doing with that sword, Mr. Mage Knight?”

Bercouli chuckles as all color in my face drains from the glaring eyes of Eydis and Alice. “Just having a chat.

“I see… Jaymes, preparations are complete. We can depart as soon as you return.”

“Right, Alice. Right behind you.” As the girls leave, I sigh and turn to Bercouli. “Well, best be off.”