Warmth in the Cold

Centoria, the next day

“The frozen west, huh?” I sigh and look towards Bercouli as he walks away from Eydis, Alice, and me. “I wonder just how cold it is.” All I can think about is the few floors on Aincrad, Jotunheim in ALO, and the White Frontier in GGO, and each and every one of those places were realistically cold. Japan is not a cold place, and I lived in a relatively similar environment in the USA. I’m not built for the cold. Why did a beast have to be there? “Oh man… This sucks.”

Eydis nods. “Hopefully it won’t take us long, and if it does...we could snuggle close to keep each other warm.”

“I have heard there’s a blizzard up there right now, so be careful, both of you.”

I smile appreciatively, but underneath that smile is pure jealousy. “Thanks, Alice. Hopefully the Cathedral doesn’t finish descending while we’re gone.”

Eydis giggles. “It’ll be just the two of us. I look forward to it!”

“...Just the two of you?”

“I’m simply stating the facts. Is there something wrong, Cutie?”

Alice nods. “You seem to be a little too eager, Eydis. Aren’t you uncomfortable, Jaymes?”

I shake my head, but in reality, I’m barely paying attention to the pair as I look at the map of the realm. “I’m fine being alone with Eydis. I began things that way, and I was alone with Medina the last three days.”

“Hmm, you’re not even paying attention. You’re just as bad. Like Lady Fanatio, if you fail to speak clearly, she will take advantage of it.”

“Alice...hmph! What do you know? Jaymes, are you ready to go? We can take Kirimai to our destination.”

That gains my attention. In the month I’ve been with the knights, I haven’t rode their dragons, due to my teleportation ability aiding us for long-distance travels and my own ability to fly as well. “Can she handle two of us?”

Eydis nods. “Yeah. I’ll even let you direct her.”

Say no more. I turn to Alice, who looks at me with great annoyance, but I don’t know the reason why. I haven’t done anything, I think. “We’ll see you later, Alice.”

xxxxxxxxx

Hours later, Snild Snow Fields, Wesdarath

We hop off Kirimai and land in the snow, and the entire fall down, my bones couldn’t stop shaking in place. As soon as my feet touch the snow, I cast an art to heat the air around me, but even with that, the frigid mistress known as Mother Nature still breathes her icy breath on me. “It’s s-so cold… Can magical beasts even survive in this climate?”

“Hee hee! You clearly haven’t trained enough if this bothers you.”

“I don’t think training helps with this.” I turn to Eydis, who looks the complete opposite of her words. “Are you really okay, Eydis?”

“Of course I’m cold, but Integrity Knights aren’t that fragile. Besides, I think we’ll be out of here in a moment.” Eydis points to her left, her finger targeting a large tiger-like beast with white fur, perfect for blending in with the environment. “There it is. Let’s go!”

I nod. “Yeah, let’s get this over with and head back quick.”

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

“Careful! It’s about to use an ice attack!” I head Eydis’ warning too late as the tiger opens its mouth and fires shards of ice at me. I create a glass barrier at the last second, blocking some of the ice, but two or three manage to scrape against me, chilling my muscles and causing me to fall. “Jaymes! Are you okay?”