Chapter 25

Stepping back, Puppeteer leered at her. How dare she say something so...so bold.

He kinda liked it.

"And what does that mean?" He questioned further, placing his hands behind his back. The thread had disappeared into nothingness, breaking into smaller pieces, those becoming fragments in the abyss.

"These people...the," she would detest if she said human, "the killers. Aren't you close with them? Any of them?"

He didn't answer. He just stood there, staring with unblinking, golden eyes. For a moment, he inhaled to say something but stopped himself. The look on his face told her that he had thought of someone. Y/N smiled.

"You thought of someone, didn't you?" She moved forward, cautiously. If her intuition was correct, she would approach him without any consequences.

Reaching out, she saw him start with slight shock... But he did not reel away.

Good. This was -

"Wake up, you idiot," that voice. It echoed in the dark area like a siren.

"W-wait, not yet-!" Puppeteer reached his hand out, grasping onto Y/N's wrist. She could feel herself growing light and something pulsed within her chest. It was gold for a moment and her eyes happened to flicker over to the grey heart that floated with the strings.

The strings were no longer attached and a bright, cool light filled her senses.

~

The shaking did not cease. Her head bounced from one shoulder to another before she jolted to her senses. A dark figure crouched near her left shoulder, a hand placed on that shoulder.

"Finally," the gruff, yet familiar voice sighed, "you shouldn't fall asleep out in the open...especially when..."

Y/N blinked a few times, sleepiness still clawing at her for her to return. Eyeless Jack turned his head away, touching his mask to make sure it was still there or to move it. Either way, he didn't seem to ever want to look at her whenever she was looking at him.

Snapping out of her daze, Y/N gasped, "w-wait! J- Eyeless Jack!"

Her cheeks grew red, almost growing casual with him. He turned her head slightly in her direction, but his sight was focused on the trees.

"Do you know if anyone else survived? Norrington? Ronan or Barbara?" She had asked in a rush, her heart pounding with anticipation. The cannibal before her could hear her blood flowing nervously throughout her body. The male could sense growth in her muscles and body; it was definitely different than before.

Jack nodded, "Norrington is fine. I'm sure the others are too."

Letting out a half-relieved sigh, she placed a hand on her chest. For some reason, recognizing the familiar hoodie ticked him off.

"Is your wound any better?" He asked through seethed teeth. The H/C-haired contestant seemed to perk up at his interest.

"Oh, um, about that..." She trailed off, laughing quietly and awkwardly, "I maaaay or may not have gotten a few more injuries?"

She didn't know if he was staring at her with a shocked or disappointed look; but hey! At least he managed to look at her!

Pulling the bag into view, Jack sat down, relaxing his own muscles. It was a shocker that under the dark hoodie was a slight mass of muscle. It didn't look like it, but Eyeless Jack, despite having a smaller build, was stronger than most. His skin, no longer human, is able to withstand many injuries.