Chapter Twenty One - The Reveal

It was no surprise that I had very little sleep throughout the remainder of the night. Sophie was fast asleep, completely unaware of the turmoil I was going through right next to her, although just being cuddled with her was soothing me ever so slightly. I couldn't help but think that maybe some things had worked out for the best. Moving out into my own place seemed like the smart move, especially with things being so tense with Chris right now. I needed some space, to sort through these emotions.

As I tossed over in the bed for the 600th time, I reached over to my phone, noting that it was 11am and seeing a text from Robert. 

'Removal men are booked for 8am tomorrow morning, earliest slot they had. I'll be there at 7.30am to help and pick you up.'

Less than 24 hours. It seemed like such a short amount of time to get everything done, but also an incredibly long time to have to remain in this house with the darkness looming over me here.

My head was pounding from the alcohol withdrawal, my body was shaking and I was so unbelievably exhausted, but there was no time to waste.

Begrudgingly, I rolled myself to the edge of the bed and stood up, grabbing my fluffy bathrobe and wrapping it around my body comfortingly before planning to head to the kitchen for aspirin and coffee. 

"Where are you going?" Grumbled a sleepy Sophie.

"Need. Coffee." I groaned back in response with a small smirk. 

"Okay. Me too. I'll be down in a minute." Sophie grumbled once more, not moving an inch from her position with her eyes firmly shut. I shook my head and laughed a little before grabbing the door handle and heading out of the room. 

As I made my way down the stairs, my eyes were instantly met with a moody looking Chris, sitting at the breakfast bar with a coffee and newspaper. He glanced up at me very quickly, before going back to reading his paper, not uttering a single word to me. I could feel my heart begin to race and swells of water building up in my eyes, so I quickly made my way over to the coffee machine and began preparing two large cups. I thought if I was quick enough, I could take them straight upstairs before Sophie had the chance to come down, that way I could avoid being in the same tension filled room as the man who was currently tearing my heart in two. 

"Good morning Chris." Came Sophie's grumbly yet somehow upbeat voice from behind me. 

Too Late. Damn. I turned around immediately, smiling at her awkwardly, trying to hint with my eyes for her to go back upstairs, but she wouldn't even look at me as she made her way over and took a seat at the breakfast bar, a few places away from Chris. 

He lifted his head from his paper and looked over at her, before looking directly at me with a guilty glint in his eye. I immediately broke eye contact with him and continued quickly finishing off our coffees as they conversed behind me.

"Sophie." Chris said sounding surprised, "I didn't know you were here." 

"Yeah, this beautiful specimen brought me here." She began, "I was WAY to drunk to be alone apparently." 

"And I was right!" I quickly intervened, smirking at her, "You threw up the second we got out of the cab!"

"I did?" She queried in shock.

"Yep and I had to practically carry your ass up to bed." I laughed, trying to ignore the fact that Chris was looking intently at me, however a small embarrassed flush graced my cheeks.

"Oh god." Sophie laughed, bringing her palm to her face. "I'm never drinking again." 

I rolled my eyes as hard as I could, giggling as I made my way over to her with the coffees and took a seat to her right, so I could be as far away from Chris as possible.