Chapter Twenty Two - Bittersweet

After a few minutes, I managed to wipe away the tears, before a soaking Sophie appeared from the bathroom, wrapped in a towel. 

"Are you okay?" Sophie asked with a concerned tone as she made her way to my closet.

"Yeah, fine why?" I exhaled, composing myself as best as I could. 

"You seem a little puffy." Sophie replied.

"Probably the hangover." I quickly responded with a small smile, as Sophie began digging through my closet for something to wear. I probably should have told her, but I wasn't sure I was strong enough to deal with it all in that moment, to admit that after talking about how happy Chris made me for hours the previous night, it was now coming to an end.

*******************************************************************************

Over the course of the day, I slowly began to box up my things. Sophie stayed to help, which I was grateful for, having accumulated way more stuff than I had originally brought with me. 

Chris wasn't seen after the mornings encounter, I assume he had gone to work. Honestly thinking about him in those moments was too painful, not only because of the fight, but because I was actually leaving. I'd become so accustomed to our daily routine, to having him so close whenever I needed him. Everything was about to change and I knew it wasn't for the better. 

Sophie left early evening, leaving me alone to finish up, although by that time there wasn't a lot left to do. Robert had called an obnoxious amount of times to check on me, despite my continuous attempts to tell him I had it under control and would be ready for the morning.  

It must have been around 9pm when I heard the front door open downstairs. I stayed silent, my heart rate increasing as foot steps got louder and louder until there was a knock at my door, making me jump ever so slightly. 

"Y/N. Are you in there?" I heard Chris call from the other side. 

I froze, my body completely seized up and my throat caved in, as I sat cross legged on the floor, unable to respond. 

"Y/N." Chris repeated with a sigh, before foot steps were heard once more, this time getting further away. 

My mind went into overdrive, every moment we shared flooding my brain at once, along with the intense fear of losing him and I broke. Pools filled my eyes, as I quickly pulled my knees up, wrapping my arms around them and pressing my face into my legs as I began sobbing silently. I hated this feeling.

A little time had passed before I managed to stop the tears that were continuously falling and I became immediately aware of the emptiness within my stomach, having been far to busy to have eaten all day. My heart began racing immediately, sickness building in my stomach as I slowly pushed myself from the floor where I had been sat, surrounded by boxes. I tiptoed over to my bedroom door, pressing my ear up against it lightly to try and gage whereabouts in the house Chris was. 

Silence.

I reached my hand down and slowly twisted my door knob, opening the door just a crack and peering out into the hallway. 

Darkness.

I was confident now, that this meant Chris was safely in his room and I would be able to carefully make my way downstairs and collect something from the fridge before making a swift return to my room. 

That was the plan anyway. A plan that was immediately fumbled as I opened my door fully, taking my first silent steps out into the hallway before Chris' bedroom door swiftly opened and I froze once more, staring at him with glazed eyes as he gazed back at me with those puppy dog eyes, wearing nothing but a pair of grey sweatpants.