She is family

I had worked hard. I had been working here for four months and I love it. They all help me where they could with school, Aurora whenever I ask. Erin had told me it's because we are family, it's what families do. I didn't know what families did I could barely remember and the last person to call himself family to me raped and beat me beyond belief. I didn't like this sense of calmness my life had come to. The chaos had somewhat stopped.

I sat at my desk typing away. Aurora was sitting in the break room playing with her toys. There was some random person in Hanks office shouting at him. I think it was about me I didn't want anyone to be in trouble everyone kept telling me not to worry about it. I email the work I had been working on to Erin who looks me nodding.

I follow the man with my eyes as he walks past. He pauses for a moment just staring at me before he kept going. I get up walking into the office "if I'm the reason his here I can go" "your not" "are you sure because I don't want anyone getting in trouble because of me" "it wouldn't matter they always seem to be mad at anyway" "but" "no buts" I slowly nod "your family" he put his hand on my shoulder looking at me sternly "besides I don't think they would let you leave with Aurora" he points out making me look out to see her Aurora sitting on Kevin's lap.

I was sitting in the break room on the floor playing with Aurora. I did miss it the basement were it wasn't nothing but quiet. Where we would play all day and I would teach her what I know. I miss turning the basement into its own town, the bed was a bus, the green mat was a busy road, the fluffy purple rug was a preschool, the shelves were a rock wall, the zebra print mat was a jungle filled with jungle toys. We would wake up go to the bathroom and then go through our busy town until he came down which is when she would hide in a deep drawer with earmuffs on her blanket and favourite toy, she usually fell asleep in there. It was how I kept her safe, kept her away from him out of his reach. He used her as a pawn in a game a toy he could take and I hated it. Seeing her grow, smile learn what the world beyond the basement was made it all worth it. She just absorbed everything. I was more than willing to teach and learn with her. I felt bad that I didn't know a lot even if I kept being told it wasn't my fault. I didn't know how to use anything in a kitchen besides a sink, I don't know how to cook, I think everyone is there to take us, I didn't even know what the internet was until I got out. I felt so out of touch with everything. Im just happy I had so many people who were willing to help me, who were patient. I just didn't know how to repay them all. They were all just so kind, helpful. "Grandpa" Aurora shouts jumping up racing over. That's also a somewhat recent development she just started one day, i had told him that I can make her stop but he said he didn't mind. He isn't the only one either she's slowly coming up with nicknames for everyone. "Do you need me" he shakes his head "we're good just checking on you two" I nod "well we're good I'm just thinking about the time before" he smiles at me sadly "Pop told me he take me out" Aurora said smiling "really this is the first time I'm hearing about this" "yep he say we will make pretty lights with Dee" she smiles gleefully "Aunty Rinie told me her and Ay teach me nice" "sounds like big plans I'll be sure to tell Auntie Silly your busy" she pouts "grandpa I help" he shrugs walking with her in his arms into his office sitting down. He positions her on her lap so they are both comfortable. "Poppy" she shouts making me turn around "hey munchkin you in charge now" she nods smiling "well we found the guy his in the cage what shall we do" she rubs her face looking Hank leans down whispering something to her "leave him there grandpa wants to talk to him" she said smiling.