Epilogue (Part 02)

Who would've known that four years could change my whole life drastically? I couldn't even recognize myself anymore. Time flew by like a hurricane but I danced with it. I learned how to get along with it... oblivious of the chaos I'll be facing afterward.

For the past years, everything was a series of vandalized walls, dean's offices, notices of suspension, and rave parties. Not to mention, drinks never seem to run out. Whether it be in the frat house or inside one of the classes I attend, I always manage to be offered a drink or two. I've lived my college life to the fullest, and I don't have any regrets.

Life.

How little did that word mean to me until I found my people.

I thought living and existing were synonymous but it was during this point in my life when I realized that they aren't—and they will never be.

Existing meant breathing. It meant your presence alone in this damned world. You're able to exist by doing mundane things expected of an ordinary human. Being able to inhale air or move a limb was already enough to fit in the category of that word.

Living, on the other hand, meant... it meant breathing with reason.

It meant every cent and second I spend with the people who bring out the person in me who wishes life could be longer; who wishes life would always stay this way.

It's not easy finding a future in three separate people but somehow, I knew I'd spend the rest of my days being friends with Haji, Charles, Zy, and Yani. We used to talk about buying a house after graduation. We could stay in Palawan, far from the drama of our families.

We could've done that... but that was all wishful thinking. It was too good to be true. Besides, not all of our family members were shitty. There were some who were actually worth staying. Like Yanina Romero, Haji's sister who's also my part-time sugar baby.

I swear to God, not a day passes where Yanina doesn't ask us to pay for dinner. I don't mind though. I have a lot of money in my bank account that could last us a hundred lifetimes. I also enjoy spoiling her since it meant I could ask her for some favors.

You know, like swapping Haji's hair gel with candle wax.

Besides, she deserves it. After all the shit that she went through, a simple dinner at a five-star restaurant wasn't nearly enough to make up for her trauma even though I was never the one that caused it.

I met Yani last year, she's Haji's younger sister. She's drop-dead gorgeous, I'm not gonna lie, but I knew better than to get all lovey-dovey with my friend's sister. Haji would impale me like a roasted pig ready for a festival.

Charles, on the other hand, didn't understand the assignment.

"Crush mo, 'no?" Zy asked once Haji and Yani left the frat house. We were having one of those cliché friends night. Zy would literally decapitate our heads if we miss it. We have it every Friday evening but this time, Yani came around.

Charles scoffed before pouring himself a glass of tequila. We were resting in the living room after a hard session of truth and dare earlier. The frat house smelled of smoke and beer. The usual.

Yes, the rumors are real. We're either hard alcoholics or full-time smokers. We have a ruined reputation anyway so why not make it real? On the bright side—despite the intolerable smell—at least we are very clean people.

No sex inside. Wouldn't want to catch HIV before we graduate.

"Hindi mo 'ko sinasagot, Charlamagne," Zy's smile seemed to grow wider. "Truth or dare?"

"Tapos na-"

"Hindi," Zy cut him off. "Hindi mo sinasagot 'yung mga tanong ko kanina kaya kailangan mong sagutin ngayon."