06 → "REMEMBER"

06 "REMEMBER"

THAT night, Adeline dreamed. She dreamed of her childhood self, who appeared to be eight years old. Her hair was parted into two braids, and an old lady stood behind, her hand placed on her shoulder;

"Please don't be afraid." A male voice echoed "Everything will be okay."

Eight year old Adeline faintly nodded as the woman with her hands placed on her shoulders slightly pushed her forward.

"Help save the human race." The woman whispered in her ear. "Save us from the Flare."

A man with grey hair gave her a small smile as he led her towards a car. She peered back at the woman, who gently smiled at her. Adeline peered over her shoulder one last time before she slid into the back of the car.

The dream ended when she was awoken by Minho, who was peering down at her.

"Mornin'." He said "Better get up. Frypan is wondering why ya not in the kitchen."

Adeline nodded, leaning forward, stretching before taking a moment to think of the dream she had. The one line that stuck out was the one mentioned something called the Flare; "Save us from the Flare." The lady in her dream had whispered to her. She had no idea what that meant, but the more she thought about it, the more it gave her a headache. At breakfast, the dream kept lingering in Adeline's mind. She had no idea what the dream meant, but it felt as if she had dreamt it for a reason. Every time she thought of it, the more confused she got and the more a headache formed. She decided to not let it get to her. Fingers snapped her out of her trance and she returned to reality.

"What is going through that mind of yours?" Matt questioned. "It's as if you were in another world for a while."

"Just thinking." Was all she said, rubbing her temples to try ease the headache.

"About what?"

"It doesn't matter." She snapped. "Stop being so curious about everything."

"Sorry." He muttered, rolling his eyes.

Adeline groaned, guilt eating away at her. She didn't mean to snap at Matt. She had been moody since Minho woke her up this morning, and although she knew why she was moody, she didn't want to take it out on anybody. She was — of course — the only girl, and because she was the only girl in the Glade, she knew none would understand why she was acting the way she was. She ran her hands over her face, groaning.