07 → "MIGRAINES"

07 "MIGRAINES"

THE MONTHS THAT ADELINE had been living in the Glade had gone by quickly, so fast that Adeline had now been living in the Glade for five months. Time seemed to fly by so fast somehow; and it was hard to picture that she had been sent in a box to live with these group of boys five months before. Four more Glader's had also been sent into that box, and today she knew the fifth Greenie would arrive. Except it had only been a few days since she had talked to that voice inside her head. It hadn't come back, leaving her confused and curious. The morning of the predicted arrival of the new Greenie, she sat crossed legged in her hammock, braiding her hair down her back. She stared at the doors, and then adverted her eyes to Newt, who was tying up his shoe-laces. She sighed, rising to her feet and stalking over to Newt's hammock.

"Hey." She whispered. "Got a minute?"

Newt nodded. "Everythin' alright?"

Adeline sighed, but shook her head. "I don't know. Maybe. Just, I need you to tell me what Matt was talking about with you the other night at dinner. I heard him mention my name and then some other things."

"Well." Newt started, getting to his feet. "He said that you were talkin' to someone although you were alone."

"Right." She sighed. That was all she needed to hear. "He had caught me at the Deadheads, talking to myself. Well, not entirely myself."

"What do you mean?" Newt questioned, confusion written on his face.

"Look." she sighed. "Meet me at the Deadheads after dinner. I'll explain everything. For now, be safe in that maze."

"Alright. See you later, OK?" he slightly smiled at her. Adeline nodded in agreement.

After dinner, both Adeline and Newt headed to the deadheads. Although it was almost time for the Glader's to head off to bed in ten minutes, they still managed to get away to talk. Both sat in the same spots as they had months earlier when she first arrived.

"I had a dream — or maybe it was a memory — I don't know how to explain it." She explained, not bothering to meet Newt's eyes. "Whatever it was, it meant something, and I don't know what. I fled to the deadheads to think. I needed to be alone for a while. I started to question myself — started talking to myself like most do from time to time-and soon enough the most bizarre thing happened. I wasn't alone in my own thoughts anymore ..." She paused, now finally glancing at Newt — who had been watching her the entire time that she'd been explaining everything.