14 → "SECOND IN COMMAND"

14 "SECOND IN COMMAND"

DAYS later, Matt had been released from the infirmary and put back to work. The Keeper's had decided that he would be put into the work of a Track-Hoe instead of his first job as a Builder and stripped him from his other job as a Runner. He'd also been trying to talk to Adeline for days, but she always ran off before he could approach her. One day as she was heading towards the Kitchen from the Homestead, she saw him approach her again. She went to pretend she didn't realize he was there; ignoring his presence completely, until she felt his hand clamp around her arm. She pulled away, but he kept pulling her back. She panicked; she wouldn't dare to admit to anybody that she was hesitant around the guy ever since everything that had happened. Everything he had done to her.

"Adeline!" he begged, pulling her back. She tried to pry his fingers off of her arm but he wouldn't let go. "Please Adeline; I need to talk to you."

"Let go." her voice wavered. He didn't let go of her. "Let go of me!"

She didn't mean to scream, but once she did, the majority of the Glade had stopped working and glanced at the two of them. She ignored the eyes watching her, prying his fingers off her arm completely. "I don't want to talk to you, because everything is your fault." She snapped.

"Look, I'm sorry." He stopped her from turning around again. "I couldn't control it. But I saw you. You were in my memories and I know you're here for a reason."

"And what reason is that?" she quizzed. "Go on; tell me."

Matt fiddled with the frayed ends of his shirt. "I don't know. The memories came by in pieces. But you're here, and I think you know why."

"And what if I don't?" she placed her hands on her hips.

"I think you're lying." He hissed. "I know you were talking to someone in your head months ago."

"I was talking to myself!" she half lied. "I don't remember anything, why can't you get that through your shuck head? I know nothing of why I am here. Neither do any of us. We all want answers. All know is that I don't know why I am here."

She bit her lip, not daring to meet Matt's eyes. She could feel him staring at her, as if he was waiting for her to spill what she knew. "Do you even know what you've done?" her voice cracked.

"W ... What?" he stuttered. Adeline glanced up this time, glaring at him.

"You tried to kill me." She barely said. "You tried to kill me and left me unconscious for a week. They didn't think I would wake up, which drove Newt over the edge .." She found her voice rising, anger washing over her as tears pricked at her eyes.