19 → "SHE'S THE LAST ONE. EVER."

19 "SHE'S THE LAST ONE. EVER."

ADELINE handed Newt the crumpled paper, Newt folding it up and stuffing it into his pocket. Both turned towards the door of the Homestead, Adeline slightly nodding at Newt as she left the Homestead. She wasn't needed back at the kitchen just yet, so she stalked towards her hammock and plopped down, watching the Glade before her. Everything seemed normal; like it should be. Gladers were working, Newt and Alby making sure each Glader did their jobs — with the exception of Ben, who was going through the Changing, and the Cooks who got to take a few hours break before preparing lunch.

At one stage, she found Chuck stalking across the Glade towards the Homestead. She waved as he passed, and Chuck slightly waved back. For once, everything was as it should be, and she laid back in her hammock. She squeezed her eyes shut for a second, colours swirling under her eyelids. She felt calmness greet her, rushing through her body. But as soon as she was calm, her body relaxed, something had to ruin it. It wasn't the pain filled screams coming from the Homestead that belonged to poor Ben, but more images flashing under her closed eyelids. This time she saw a girl with tar black hair. She was beautiful; for what she could see anyway. But something about her was off; she was unconscious. Or maybe even dead. One of the two, that's for sure. The images passed by quickly. No name came with the girl, unlike when she saw Thomas minutes before he showed up.

Adeline's break was over, time just never seemed to be on anyone side. When Frypan called her back over, she threw her feet over the side of the hammock and headed towards the kitchen. She peered down at her watch that she always seemed to forget she had, the time close to 12:30. It was another round of sandwiches for lunch again. The Cooks were ordered to prepare a variety. It was nearing lunch when something wasn't right. Across the Glade, Adeline saw Thomas and Alby, giving him the Tour of the place. She shrugged off the feeling that something was off when the oh — so — lovely sound of the Newbie alarm blared across the Glade. Adeline dropped the butter knife and raced out of the kitchen. Confusion was written across the majority of the Gladers faces. Thomas only arrived yesterday, why would the Box come up now? Supplies aren't due for another few days, either. Thomas' face went from curious to confused real quick, while Alby looked just as confused as everyone else. Adeline raced over to Alby. Thomas clamped his hands to his ears, looking around as the siren blared.

"What's going on?" Thomas asked.

"That's weird." was all Alby said as he scanned the Glade, squinting.

"Why is the alarm going off?" Adeline questioned.

"I don't know." Alby murmured back. Thomas, who looked irritated as nobody answered his question, snapping at Alby with his hands still clamped over his ears;