22 → "I'LL BE BACK"

22 "I'LL BE BACK"

AFTER lunch, Adeline went to meet Alby in the Homestead, where she walked in on Newt, Alby and Matt sitting in a small circle, discussing something. All three of them craned their necks to stare at her, causing Adeline to freeze at the sight of them all.

"Oh! —" she gasped, about to turn around and head back out the front door. Her cheeks tinged red. "Sorry do you want me to — "

Alby shook his head, waving her over. "Sit." he ordered, and Adeline crossed over to a spare seat in between Matt and Newt. Adeline felt as if she was in a huge amount of trouble; it was the way Alby glanced at her with anger hinted in his eyes. She shrunk back in her seat.

"Why did you ask me here anyway?" She questioned.

"We need to discuss about the other girl." Alby stated. "I think there's a connection between Thomas, you, Matt and the unconscious girl upstairs."

Adeline felt the colour drain from her face. "A connection? Between myself, Thomas, Matt and the other girl?"

"Yes." Alby snapped, clearly not wanting to put up with any questions she had. "Have you seen her before?"

Adeline shook her head. "Of course I haven't."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, Alby." Adeline snapped. "My memories are just as gone as everyone's."

Alby rolled his eyes, directed his attention to Matt. "What about you? Seem familiar?"

Matt shook his head. "Not at all."

"Why do you even think there's a connection anyway?" Adeline questioned Alby.

"Because ..." Alby started. "Adeline, you were the first and only girl for a year. Matt gets here, gets himself stung and see's you in his memories and nobody else. Thomas arrives a year after you arrive, and then a day later the other girl arrives with a note saying everything's going to buggin' change, and then all of a sudden now we have a dead Griever. None of this happened before you four showed up."

"As I said, I don't recognise the girl." Adeline stated, crossing her arms and rising from her seat. "But if I do remember anything, I'll make sure you're the first one I'll come to."

Alby met her gaze and slightly nodded in agreement. "Alright. Keep to your word." Alby said. "I'm the first you come to if you remember anything."