Chapter: [17] Bites

I feel my eyes being stung with tears as we say our goodbyes to Touka, leaving Anteiku with Levi. The sun is about to come up from the horizon, filling cold streets with a much needed warmth. The city is quiet as if the terror of last night never happened and it all was just someone's ghastly nightmare.

We start making our way out of Tokyo on our bike, once again choosing the deserted small streets and alleys to avoid any possible encounters with the CCG patrolling the city. The cold wind pierces me but Levi's body that I'm hugging tightly provides comfort and the feeling of safety that I almost forgot while being away from him.

Thinking about our upcoming conversation, I already start to choose the right words to tell Levi the truth. How is he going to react to me eating human meat? Will he be disgusted? But most importantly... how's he going to handle the news about Kanou...Oh God. Lack of air starts to tingle my lungs as my breath hitches while I immerse in overthinking every possible reaction I'll get from Levi.

Stop. You've done what you've done. Nothing can be changed. Just tell him.

Finally approaching the highway leading to Hasaki, Levi increases the speed, getting away from the city as fast as possible. I shiver from the cold, pushing my body into him even more. We still have around an hour and a half of riding ahead of us.

***

As we get closer to the city, I see small houses placed all over the empty streets. The sun had already hidden behind the grey clouds, making everything look murky and somehow cosy. We stop at the parking lot of a small clothing store, since we brought just a minimum amount of our belongings with us, only what could fit the storage place of the bike and a backpack.

As we take off our helmets, I give Levi a black face mask, putting on one myself. We still have to maintain caution since Levi's face is probably shown on the news along with other ghouls who escaped Cochlea last night.

Getting some basic clothing, we go to another small store to get supplies for the house. After returning to the bike, Levi lights up his cigarette and locks his eyes with me.

"So... why this town of all places?" He asks curiously.

"Oh! Well, Yoshimura-san suggested it while I was looking for a place for us to stay. Basically, the owner of the local funeral bureau and cemetery is his good friend. And he is also a ghoul. Yoshimura contacted him and told him about our situation, asking to help us settle down. Most importantly, he can provide us with food as they do it here on a daily basis, helping ghouls who can't hunt themselves. Kind of like the Anteiku branch." I tell him, smiling.

Levi returns my smile, quietly chuckling. "You really thought everything through..." He says.

Hearing his praise makes me happy as I come closer and lock my hands behind his neck, placing a soft kiss on his lips. "I just want us to live happily and relax, even if the situation is hard right now..." I tell him softly. He wraps his arms around me, placing his chin on my head, letting me know with his gesture that despite everything we will have the happy and peaceful life together we've always wanted and imagined. I feel so safe.

We hop on the bike and around 5 minutes later arrive at our destination, taking a first look at our new home. Sure, it's temporary, but it's the place where we're going to make out for all this time being away from each other, until life will take us somewhere else. Doesn't even matter where. All that matters is that we're together now.

I gasp in awe, as the house looks even better than in the pictures, instantly bringing my eyes to Levi's face to see his reaction. His sight is relaxed as his lips form a beautiful soft smile from which I know that he likes it.