Chapter: [12] A new beginning

*Cover art credits @_tyori_*

The night was full of terror. Nightmare after nightmare, I found myself waking up covered with sweat with Levi next to me, every time passing out again in his arms.

As the morning finally comes, sounds from the TV in the next room waking me up from my shallow sleep. I quietly stand up from the bed, feeling exhausted, like I didn't get to sleep at all. Well, that's partially true. Taking Levi's warm socks from the closet and putting them in, I go to the living room. Levi sits there, immersed in the news report on the TV. As he sees me, he stands up and approaches me quickly, giving me the warmest hug. I smile at him weakly.

"How are you, baby?" He asks quietly with concern in his voice.

"I'm fine. Just need lots of coffee." I say, burying myself in his chest.

"I'm on it." He says sweetly and lets me go, as I go to sit on the soft couch and cover myself with a blanket.

The news report doesn't seem to show anything about yesterday's accident. It makes sense that Kenny's body wasn't found yet, since, according to his words, he acted on his own. It also could mean that the CCG still has no clue on Levi's identity. But despite that, I still feel arousing anxiety deep inside me. It's just a matter of time until they find it and start digging Levi's case more and more and then... and then what? My heart starts trembling as I think of the devastating scenario of the CCG finding Levi. We have to think of something, to do something about it until it's too late....

A cup of coffee appears in front of my face, dragging me out of my uneasy thoughts. I take it and murmur "Thank you" as Levi sits next to me with his own cup. I decide not to rush talking about the future, supressing my anxiety deeper, but curiosity takes over me and I can't help but ask Levi quientions that have been torturing me all night.

"Levi, while you were fighting yesterday... I remember gaining my consciousness for a second and... I think I saw another person in the rabbit mask helping you, who was that?" I ask, sipping my coffee.

Levi gets visibly tensed up, making a pause before his answer. Weird.

"It's just a friend of mine, another ghoul. Sh- he agreed to help me take Kenny down, since I was expecting him to bring some ghouls from Aogiri with him. I needed a backup." He simply says.

"I see... you both have the same kagunes, right? The wings. Only yours are blue and his are red." I say. Levi just nods in response.

"I didn't see much, but it was...impressive. I'm definitely encouraged to study more about ghouls and their abilities when I come back to University..." I say, placing my finished cup on the coffee table, Levi does the same. He switches the channel to some TV show, as if he understands that we both need a little bit of distraction from our thoughts, moving closer to me to caress my back. I relax my body, on his, as we both stare at the screen in silence.

***

As much as I don't want to think about yesterday, the memories just won't go away. While Levi is caressing my back, I try to process every single moment that appeared in my dreams last night. I have to let it out, not only because it will be good for me, but also because some things that Kenny said to me could be useful to Levi. I look at him, his forehead is tensed up, a clear sign of him being distressed.

"Levi, can I talk to you about what happened while...while I was with your uncle?" I ask him softly, taking his hands and connecting them with mine.

"You don't have to do this Y/N, I don't want you to stress out more than you already did. You can tell me when you're ready."

"I'm ready Levi, don't worry, I wouldn't do it if it meant having a panic attack. I don't remember much, but it can be useful for us both." I say squeezing his hands, trying to reassure him.