Chapter: [14] Rebirth

"A ghoul? Are you out of your fucking mind?!" Touka screams, dropping her jaw at my words. "I mean, I understand your struggles, Y/N, really. But how will becoming a ghoul help Levi?!"

"I need to be stronger. Physically. So I can break into that goddamn prison and help him escape. I'm sure there is a way! I'm sure someone escaped it before!"

I look at Touka and her expression lets me know that I'm right. I feel my new-found hope intensifying in my chest.

"You have no idea what you're talking about! Becoming a ghoul it's like throwing your life away! You won't be able to live normally after, there won't be a chance to become a human again. To be honest, I don't even know how you can do it-" Touka says panicking but I interrupt her.

"If Levi was turned into a ghoul then there is a way to do it.  I'm sure Yoshimura-san knows. I need to speak to him, right now." I start heading towards the entrance of the apartment.

"Wait! Y/N!" Touka instantly grabs my hand, stopping me. "Don't you want to at least think about it for some time!? It's not a decision that you can make out of nowhere! It's going to change your life, completely!"

"Touka-chan." I turn to her and take both of her cold hands in mine. "I know what you mean, believe me. Levi told me about his experience. About the terror he went through. About the devastating feeling of loneliness. But he is everything I have. Nothing is more important to me than him. And if I have to sacrifice my human life for even a small chance of saving him from execution, I'll do it. Because if he is gone, there's nothing left for me to live for. Do you understand?" I say, looking at her with watery eyes. "Besides, I won't be alone like he was. We have each other. I have you. Anteiku. A lot of wonderful people- I mean, ghouls who care for me. It won't be the same..."

Touka stays silent for some time, thinking about my words, until finally bringing her eyes to me with a deep sigh.

"Let's go. I'll take you to Yoshimura-san."

***

We go downstairs to Anteiku where Yoshimura seems to be cleaning up after closing the cafe.

"Yoshimura-san..." I call him as I enter the room. He brings his eyes to me and smiles kindly.

"Y/N, good evening. How are you feeling? Do you want some coffee?"

"I wanted to talk to you about something very important..." I say, digging my nails into the flesh of my hands, feeling the anxiety starting to build up inside. What if he refuses to help me? How will I be able to find Kanou on my own? Oh God... it's my only chance.

"Alright then, sit down. Conversations tend to go smoother over coffee." He says, starting to prepare my cup. "Touka, would you like some too?" Touka nods and sits down next to me.

As our coffee is ready, I start explaining my idea to Yoshimura, letting out all of my hidden feelings and emotions about Levi to convince him that becoming a ghoul is really what I want. Touka sits next to me, stroking my shoulder as tears start streaming down my face. I try to wipe them off and collect my thoughts together to prevent my voice from shaking. To my surprise, Youshimura's expression doesn't flinch throughout my whole speech, his eyes show understanding and concern. After I finish, he remains silent for a long time, every second of waiting makes me panic more and more.

After what seems to be an eternity, he finally goes back from his deep thinking, looking into my eyes and starting to talk slowly.

"I've never told you this, Y/N, but my wife was a human... We fell in love so deeply that nothing seemed to be an obstacle for our happiness. We even had a child..." He stops for a bit, swimming in his memories. "I want you to know that I admire your courage. I know how love could be the only reason for a person to live and not give up, I went through it myself. And if you've made your decision, I'm sure nothing will change it, no matter what me or Touka will tell you."